• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much would you earn as a permie?"

Collapse

• DieScum
    replied
    Sally - Are the guys earning 30k doing the same work as you on 400 a day?

Leave a comment:

• schindler
    replied
    [QUOTE=SallyAnne;640159]I'm on £400 per day ....

Hmmm Oracle Apps rates have dropped is'nt it??

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Dec 1999 I was on £28ph and the client offered me a permanent offer at £32K + bonus & benefits package,

I said I'd take but asked to defer it til April 2000.

By the time I joined they had upped the offer to £36K + bonus & benefits package.

Last Summer I was on £46K + bonus & benefits package at the same position.

I took Voluntary Redundancy, and got a contract at £34ph.

Could my £34ph be used to provide the same as my permanent package

Err ... NO !

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    What happened to ma Swedish post...

Just spent the morning having my body smothered in essential oils by some young blonde lady. 80 minutes of bliss so it was.

What permies do that on a Monday morning?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    ...Accenture a few years back I got a starting salary of about £37, and when I handed my notice in they offerred me a promotion, which would have put me on £45ish....I doubt I'd get that wage anywhere else other than a horrible consultancy like them.

I can't see me ever giving up the contracting world.
    That's my feeling: decent contracting rate, miserly perm salary, or work for awful consultancy and get not-quite-so-miserly salary, but it's basically contracting without the choices; and the % cut that they take would give you a warm fuzzy feeling about the dodgiest of agents.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    I'm on £400 per day in the North East, and the permie lads I'm working with are all on just under £30k.

They also once a month have to work on call, and get paid, no word of a lie, £50 for a call out, plus double time for the time it takes, but if no call out (which is most of the time) they onl get a £10 per day on call allowance!!!!

So can you imagine having to give up a Saturday (drink wise) just for a tenner?!!!! You couldn't havea drink AT ALL, or even on the Friday actaully, cause your on call starts at 12:01am! For a tenner!!!!

I nearly fell off my seat when they told me.

When I went permie at Accenture a few years back I got a starting salary of about £37, and when I handed my notice in they offerred me a promotion, which would have put me on £45ish....I doubt I'd get that wage anywhere else other than a horrible consultancy like them.

I can't see me ever giving up the contracting world.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Was talking to a young lass talking about boning in an abatoir !
    ooo kinky

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    I'm permie at the moment. Including car allowance and pension the package is 70k.

Another thing that is in the back of my mind is redundancy. For every year I work then thats another 5k tax free redundancy pay in the pot. Obviously that isn't guaranteed and it is only tax free up to 30k... but it is something to think about.

It seems more likely for me that I'll launch myself back in to the contracting world after picking up the redundancy pot.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    My permie job earns more than your contract position, based on 45 week year at £200 per day!

Not that I want to piss on your chips.....
    Am I supposed to be impressed? It's 2X what I got in my permie job, why should I care you earn more than that? If I could get to the equivalent of £300-400 p/d (£35-50) that's more than I ever expected to make, since I was never prepared to work the career ladder and relocate for a cushy job.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    And look how much you enjoy it. Every post is a whinge about something or other

Oh, and shoes
    True, I always whinge though. Hate the commute, but love the flexible hours and the variety. Was talking to a young lass talking about boning lines in an abatoir the other day, that was a definate highlight of the meeting!

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    My permie job earns more than your contract position, based on 45 week year at £200 per day!

And look how much you enjoy it. Every post is a whinge about something or other

Oh, and shoes

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    My income is solely dependant on my performance.

If I successfully build up the company I shall be amply rewarded. If not then it will have been fun trying!
    That has to be the most aspirational post ever. Scott Adams will be proud of this dog!

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    We had a discussion recently "how much would it take for you to go permie". Well, forget that. I'm wondering what people think they could realistically get in the area they normally work. If you are happy to say your typical contact rate as well that's be great.

THe 'rule' I've heard is that contractors generally make about twice what their emplyed counterparts do. That's basically where I am. My last job was for £27K which I considered quite good in the North East, my hourly rates work out at just over £200 per day and I'm projecting gross company profit of £55-60K.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    i am sure i could work for one of the big consulting firms and would expect a starting point of 75k but i would be doing exactly the same job as i do now but wearing their uncomfortable clothes and presenting their vapid powerpoints. i'd have do drop everything and get on a plane at their beck and call. i'd have to sell their solutions to clients regardless of the suitablity. etc. etc.

"i'm a million miles away from that helecopter day
    no, i don't believe i'll be going back that way."

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by YHB View Post
    Why oh why doesn't everyone say no to £200 a day. When you consider the risks involved if you are taken long term sick etc thats peanuts.

Basic Access database work can get you £300 a day min up north....
    I work as a freelancer with clients I find myself, and I'm not prepared to commute. Plus I do a lot of game development work.

I've yet to find £300 or higher as a remote worker but I am looking, if it's so easy feel free to PM me where to find this easy money. However, I am still on ~2X my last permie salary (I'm only 26).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X