• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Taking a career break"

Collapse

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    God if I didn't have my other half I'd be off like a shot.

I'd probably head to Canada, then tour America - work a few low paid jobs like bars or waitressing, just to get back in the real world, meet people, have sex with completely inappropriate people, get p*ssed with crazies...
    that's where real life and fun lies.

This earning money, mortgage paying, gig to gig existance us lot lead is so frolicking sad and stifling....but unfortunately once you're in it there's no going back.

Diescum - go for it lad. Grab it all by the b*lls and never look back.
    If you really fancy it, why can't you do it with your other half?? rent the house so you don't have to worry about the mortgage, then go touring. Going with your other half would mean missing out on sh@ging strangers, but I think you'd have the best times of your lives... better do it now before you start having kids... those can be a real obstacle.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Och, it's all something to think about.

You just think about the money you are missing out on though... but what is money for?

I wouldn't like to go away for a year, come back at 31 skint and having to start all over again... but if I could come back with a bit left over and blag a decent contract... well that sounds pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    God if I didn't have my other half I'd be off like a shot.

I'd probably head to Canada, then tour America - work a few low paid jobs like bars or waitressing, just to get back in the real world, meet people, have sex with completely inappropriate people, get p*ssed with crazies...
    that's where real life and fun lies.

This earning money, mortgage paying, gig to gig existance us lot lead is so ******* sad and stifling....but unfortunately once you're in it there's no going back.

Diescum - go for it lad. Grab it all by the b*lls and never look back.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    I ended my permie life of bordeom 5 years ago to do a snoboard season in Austria. Best thing I ever did. Came back Contracting earning twice as much money. Worked for 15 months. Then went off tranelling. 5 months in SE asia. Then got some amazing contract in Australia and got sponsored. Then did a snowbaord season in NZ, working 3 days a week.

Then did final 6 months travelling before coming back. Gone permie due to lack of contracts - back to life of boredom!!!

In sumamry, do it - its the best thing you'll ever do, even if jsut for being a lot happier in yourself and more confident but with great expereinces and a few foreign sh@gs under your belt (plus a few 5 knuckle shuffles in beach huts around the world ). From my expereince employers have only ever looked favourably on seeing travelling time on your CV. It show's you're not a typical IT nerd!!

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Should I take a career break?

The default should be 'break'. Should you sign up for another 6 months+ sat in an office, that's a harder question.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    Yeah, it is tempting.

I've got about 50k in savings. So I think I could put aside 20k for travelling. I'd plan on going for 12 months but that would provide plenty of backup to extend.

Then have 30k sitting in the bank to set me up when I'm back. Would probably move to a house share in London for a bit then pick up a contract.

The contract market in Oz looks not too bad though so you never know.

The thing is I'm permie at the moment (yeah I know), get paid a lot and work from home. But the job is so boring I want to self-harm every time I log on in the morning. A redundancy package would be nice but not sure how likely.

The thing is the longer you work, the more you save, it's hard to walk away from the big bucks.
    did you calculate the next company tax out of the 50K savings? or are do you keep tax money separate from your savings?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I've had 4 breaks of over 7 months, they got smaller each time as I got fed up with doing nothing slightly earlier. No real problems getting back into the contract game, while you are blagging on your CV you might as well go for it big time and go for the latest greatest skill while you are at it. You could even attempt to break into .Net

ps. I once heard a rumour that the brothels in Argentina were the best in the world

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    The thing is the longer you work, the more you save, it's hard to walk away from the big bucks.
    It's also harder once you accumulate things like GF/wife/partner, house, and esp. offspring. Do the trip first, you can do the others later. It doesn't work the other way round.

PS I normally hesitate to advise people on what to do (with their life, I mean, as against just their presence) but I've never met anyone who thought about travelling, who did it and regretted it.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Yeah, it is tempting.

I've got about 50k in savings. So I think I could put aside 20k for travelling. I'd plan on going for 12 months but that would provide plenty of backup to extend.

Then have 30k sitting in the bank to set me up when I'm back. Would probably move to a house share in London for a bit then pick up a contract.

The contract market in Oz looks not too bad though so you never know.

The thing is I'm permie at the moment (yeah I know), get paid a lot and work from home. But the job is so boring I want to self-harm every time I log on in the morning. A redundancy package would be nice but not sure how likely.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Travel for 5-10 years and when you get back, a house here will cost you about £10K.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    I took one 2001/2002, it cost around £1k a month on average to live like a king and not worry about anything, although if you budget then you can easily live of far less than that, my ex did almost the same trip for £3.5k

I spent 16 months travelling overland wherever possible from Beijing through China, Hong Kong, N Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, S Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand and Chile.. missed out Easter Island as I was quickly running out of money and got pickpocketed at Sydney Airport

Have never had to explain why I took the time off other than "I took a break to go see some of the world" tell them where and get the usual "wow, i wish i could.."

Make sure you have funds for training and benchtime for when you get back, i was benched around 2-3 months after I got back and the nothingness along with post travel blues tests your insanity levels..

Go for it, you wont regret it

Chef

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Me and Mrs b0redom took 18 months off and travelled around the World. Best thing I ever did. South America is awesome.

The only reason I fell into contracting is that the 1st offer I got when I came back was for a contract, so I'd say, no it won't cause employment problems.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    sasguru takes 9 months off every now and then. When asked by prospective employer (not client since he is a permie) he says he was pregnant. Everyone believes him since they can see from far away that he is a ***t.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I had one in the last recession, it was bloody brilliant.

Count on it costing about £1000 a month (give or take) if you don't want to deny yourself anything.

I'd be more inclined to skip Thailand and just go to Central/Southern America. Mexico city has some great language schools, as does Guatemala. On the plus side, there are heaps of fit American chicas at certain times of the year who have come to Mexico for a shag.

Coming back was a bit of a worry, but I came back before I'd completely run out of money and had some cash to support me until I found a couple of contracts.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I generally have 6 months off every 3 years. When it comes to a new gig theres no explanation needed beyond, if asked, telling them I had some time off.

Most permie interviewers then tell me how lucky I am and how they wish they could live like that. If I tell them they can, the excuses start flowing like water...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X