• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What's a Spiv?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's a Spiv?"

Collapse

• wobbegong
    replied
    What's a Spiv?

Here's one.

Eurrrggggggghhhhh!

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Private Joe Walker of the Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard is also an excellent example of the species.
    He was already mentioned which is why I didn't. One of the links is to a picture of him.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Thank you

I now have this picture of Dodgy in my mind. wrinkled pin stripe suit, spats, yellow tie, twirly moustache, cigar, Gold tooth and a warm clammy handshake

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The terms are interchangeable.

Nobody mentioned the original Flash Harry in the original St Trinians movies?
    George Cole also played the ultimate Spiv as Arfur.
    Private Joe Walker of the Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard is also an excellent example of the species.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Thank you

I now have this picture of Dodgy in my mind. wrinkled pin stripe suit, spats, yellow tie, twirly moustache, cigar, Gold tooth and a warm clammy handshake
    Ah you've met him, then.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    But these are both 'recruitment consultants', surely?
    The terms are interchangeable.

Nobody mentioned the original Flash Harry in the original St Trinians movies?
    George Cole also played the ultimate Spiv as Arfur.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    http://losingit.me.uk/v/sculpture/30..._7403.jpg.html

Contractor posing in front of his wardrobe

Sorry! (You know who you are )

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Spivs are very easy to recognise.

Keep these photos handy to help you recognise a Spiv when you see one.

Spiv 1

Spiv 2

HTH
    But these are both 'recruitment consultants', surely?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Isn't that a definition of an IT contractor?
    What!
    a flashily dressed contractor

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    OED:-
    A man who lives by his wits and has no regular employment; one engaging in petty blackmarket dealings and freq. characterized by flashy dress.
    Isn't that a definition of an IT contractor?
    Last edited by MarillionFan; 21 September 2008, 19:35.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Spivs are very easy to recognise.

Keep these photos handy to help you recognise a Spiv when you see one.

Spiv 1

Spiv 2

HTH

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    OED:-
    A man who lives by his wits and has no regular employment; one engaging in petty blackmarket dealings and freq. characterized by flashy dress.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Didn't bother looking it up until now - we'd probably be talking about the third definition here.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    started a topic What's a Spiv?

What's a Spiv?

I keep reading about this word in the current coverage of the credit crunch. I had thought a Spiv was someone in WWII who sold black market oranges and stockings (kinky sex?) but obviously there's a deeper meaning?

Working...
X