• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bleeding copyright jobsworths...."

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Especially as the little blonde one doesn't look anything like mum and dad...

IGMC
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Funny eye?
    Aye!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Actually some things are copyrighted so you can't photograph them. The ceiling of the Sistine Chappel in the Vatican for instance is copyright of some Japanese TV company that paid for its restoration. Doges Palace in Venice has something similar.

I don't see how a theme park would have a similar restriction though so the Boots person was talking complete bollards in all probability.
    Mind you it's possible that Boots have had a kicking from the likes of Disney in the past so they have a policy in place for this sort of eventuality.
    It is not the copyright that prevents you from photographing the ceiling of the Sistine chapel, it is the Vatican policy as owners of the building. One of the reasons for this may well be the copyright held by a benefactor; and indeed if the copyright is held by a Japanese Co then you couldn't publish a photo without their permission, but you are not prevented by copyright law from taking a photo of it.

I note an example, the illumination of the Eiffel Tower is copyright. However, this does not mean that you can't take a holiday snap of it (you can), it only means that you can not publish a photograph that is of it, or in which it plays an important part, without permission.

Boots may well have a policy in place for this. That would make it their policy not to make prints of such photos. It would not make it the law.
    Last edited by expat; 18 September 2008, 14:14.

Leave a comment:

• BrianSnail
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    report the idiot at Boots to the police for theft of your property.
    Or invoice them for reproducing your copyrighted material. Boomed!

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    report the idiot at Boots to the police for theft of your property.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Actually some things are copyrighted so you can't photograph them. The ceiling of the Sistine Chappel in the Vatican for instance is copyright of some Japanese TV company that paid for its restoration. Doges Palace in Venice has something similar.

I don't see how a theme park would have a similar restriction though so the Boots person was talking complete bollards in all probability.
    Mind you it's possible that Boots have had a kicking from the likes of Disney in the past so they have a policy in place for this sort of eventuality.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Were these photos similar to those ones that get taken automatically on rhe ride at some point?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post

IGMC
    Funny eye?

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Had some photos from the hols of the kids that were taken in a theme park in Portugal.
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    as least they didn't call the police for the crime of taking photos of children

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• BrianSnail
    replied
    Inform Boots of your legal rights under copyright law

Who owns the copyright on photographs?
    Under law, it is the photographer who will own copyright on any photos he/she has taken, with the following exceptions:

• If the photographer is an employee of the company the photos are taken for, or is an employee of a company instructed to take the photos, the photographer will be acting on behalf of his/her employer, and the company the photographer works for will own the copyright.

• If there is an agreement that assigns copyright to another party.

In all other cases, the photographer will retain the copyright, if the photographer has been paid for his work, the payment will be for the photographer’s time and typically an allocated number of prints. The copyright to the photos will remain with the photographer, and therefore any reproduction without permission would be an infringement of copyright.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    What's not
    The copyright bovine tulip; sorry I realise my "it's not true" statement was fairly ambiguous, I am in no way claiming that your statement didn't happen.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    It's also not true...
    What's not

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    as least they didn't call the police for the crime of taking photos of children

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Went to the local chemist to get some baby oil
    'try Boots' said the spotty oik

'Fk offf, I want to slide in, not trample my way in' says I

igmc
    New keyboard please!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Went to the local chemist to get some baby oil
    'try Boots' said the spotty oik

'Fk offf, I want to slide in, not trample my way in' says I

igmc

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Had some photos from the hols of the kids that were taken in a theme park in Portugal. Mam and Dad asked for copies (was going to scan and print them myself but the colour cartridge on the printer needs replacing) so off I went to Boots.

Scanned them and selected the one hour service - went back to collect them and got the ******* Spanish Inquisition. Told me that as they were taken in a theme park then they were copyrighted to the theme park and it would be illegal to give them to me
    Why would that be? Copyright generally rests with the creator of a work, or the sponsor/employer/buyer who has commissioned it. Arguably you might need permission to take photos on private property (though the idea can hardly come as a surprise to owners of a theme park), but after they have been taken, there is no doubt that copyright belongs to you. Permission and copyright are different things.

Typical jobsworth, quick to invent an imaginary piece of law that supposedly backs up his baseless interfering.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X