• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Question for all right wing capitalists and libertarians?"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Starnge though it may seem to your puny second-hand intellect, some of us actually have powers of analysis and synthesis that enable us to weigh evidence and form reasoned opinions.
    Synthesis being the operative word here methinks

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BigTime View Post
    Those powers you claim have made you completely change your opinion in this thread. You started laughing at libertarians and your subsequent comments show what you actually believe.
    Not really. I had some people in mind. In general I believe in better regulation in the City. But not to atw's communist extent
    Last edited by sasguru; 18 September 2008, 18:26.

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied

Starnge though it may seem to your puny second-hand intellect, some of us actually have powers of analysis and synthesis that enable us to weigh evidence and form reasoned opinions.
    Those powers you claim have made you completely change your opinion in this thread. You started laughing at libertarians and your subsequent comments show what you actually believe.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Certainly the so called 'free market' has been contaminated with the spectacle of the Captains of Industry being rewarded for failure.

One case which springs to mind - Sven Eriksson - (remember him?) whose miserable campaign resulted in the exit for the England Football team was rewarded by a Golden Goodbye of one million every year over a five year period - five million quid - not bad.

And thats not even getting your team to the semi finals - never mind winning.

It is obvious that is now par for the course for 'them at the top'and they all have their snouts in the pig trough and so all enjoy such ludicrous deals.

Meanwhile US companies regularly axe the ten bottom perfomance of their workface who are struggling to get by whilst senior executives who screw up are rewarded with huge bonuses and golden payoffs.

So it goes.
    It's not only the golden payoffs Alf.

Any investment bank worth the name has a special platform, 3 stories above the street entrance, where senior officers of the company can give Golden Showers to the, hapless, sacked underlings as they struggle out with their cardboard boxes full of pitiful personal effects.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Certainly the so called 'free market' has been contaminated with the spectacle of the Captains of Industry being rewarded for failure.

One case which springs to mind - Sven Eriksson - (remember him?) whose miserable campaign resulted in the exit for the England Football team was rewarded by a Golden Goodbye of one million every year over a five year period - five million quid - not bad.

And thats not even getting your team to the semi finals - never mind winning.

It is obvious that is now par for the course for 'them at the top'and they all have their snouts in the pig trough and so all enjoy such ludicrous deals.

Meanwhile US companies regularly axe the ten bottom perfomance of their workface who are struggling to get by whilst senior executives who screw up are rewarded with huge bonuses and golden payoffs.

So it goes.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/b...-200809161257/

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Me too. Wonder where that cut and paste came from?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    That is a shocking statement. Capitalism should be about small businesses encouraged to compete not monopolies dominating the market
    Point taken, I worded that incorrectly. In an ideal world, yes I think that there is an onus on government to provide an environment whereby small businesses can compete. You can't have it all though as the more you promote democracy and the free market mantra all you are really doing is ensuring the fittest (i.e. the biggest and strongest) flourish and the rest be damned.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    First time ever I agree with you 100%.
    Me too. Wonder where that cut and paste came from?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    That was over a decade ago. Relevance?
    It gave the City carte blanche to believe they were untouchable under Labour. The FSA et. al. have been toothless tigers by design

True but I don't see the correlation between treating small businesses poorly and the shortcomings of the capitalist system
    That is a shocking statement. Capitalism should be about small businesses encouraged to compete not monopolies dominating the market

Maybe so but I think it's a fool that thinks it would have unfolded differently under another ruling party.
    I think it would have better under the old-fashioned Tory grandees - at least most were businessmen and understood the issues and limits of the business world

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

What's your take on Global Warming?

WHS.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Labour was petrified of spooking the City before they got elected. Blair's strategy was to cultivate contacts in the City and promise that Labour would give them a free hand (for which he has been amply rewarded now.).
    That was over a decade ago. Relevance?
    Labour have clamped down on the small businessman, sole-trader and self-employed and agreed to whatever big business wanted.
    True but I don't see the correlation between treating small businesses poorly and the shortcomings of the capitalist system

This Labour government which consists mainly of cretins who've never had a job in the real world is the most incompetent set of buffoons ever to govern this country in several lifetimes.
    For the above reasons they are guilty as sin.
    Maybe so but I think it's a fool that thinks it would have unfolded differently under another ruling party.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Labour was petrified of spooking the City before they got elected. Blair's strategy was to cultivate contacts in the City and promise that Labour would give them a free hand (for which he has been amply rewarded now.).
    Labour have clamped down on the small businessman, sole-trader and self-employed and agreed to whatever big business wanted.
    This Labour government which consists mainly of cretins who've never had a job in the real world is the most incompetent set of buffoons ever to govern this country in several lifetimes.

What's your take on Global Warming?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    In short, I agree that more legislation/regulation could have been in place and that MIGHT have helped prevent this to a small degree. However if they haven't done anything illegal other than make bad decisions I think it's harsh to point the finger of blame at the Gov.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    The barter system is but another bank's collapse away.

better

Leave a comment:

Working...
X