• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is your money safe?"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    national savings
    Oh, the guys who did the Post War Credits?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Those who had Northern Rock loans didn't get a free house, but that was a special case, they owe the government and were transfered to uncompetitive deals.

If people try to default, the mortgage indemnity premium that the mortgagee took out on behalf of the bank would refund the administrator/liquidator/bank purchaser and the insurance company would then seek the outstanding amount from the mortgagee.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    More importantly (though irrelevant to most people here, I know), what happens to your mortgage if the bank you have it with goes tits up?
    The debt would be sold on - just like any other debt that you have. A mortgage is a sodding great loan/debt just like any other loan/debt, and the best bit is, when your house can only fetch two thirds of what you owe, you'll still owe them all of it. Fun huh

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    May be it means one wouldn't have to repay the mortgage and one could have the house for free
    Mortgages are tradable assets (yes I know some aren't really assets especially the sub primes) so they would be sold on by the liquidators to meet the companies liabilities. They could conceivably be called in but that wouldn't be worth it since only a tiny minority of mortgagees could repay in one hit.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    May be it means one wouldn't have to repay the mortgage and one could have the house for free
    The people with mortgages should just have to switch their payments to the people with savings/business accounts. But somehow I don't suppose it would work like that. Instead, the people with savings would lose the lot, and the people with mortgages would be repossessed. The actual cash would never be seen again.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by Likely View Post
    Sorry babe , but there is only one thing one can have for free and this is not a house.
    What is it then?? a free car?? free meal?? go on tell us

Leave a comment:

• Likely
    replied
    Sorry babe , but there is only one thing one can have for free and this is not a house.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    More importantly (though irrelevant to most people here, I know), what happens to your mortgage if the bank you have it with goes tits up?

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
    Yep, but how are these immune from the current crisis?

If one chooses to trade with their money, there is an associated risk, the question is how risky you want to go....

I doubt many high earners are just keeping their money into gauranteed returns (very low risk ) I would think most are investing in various businesses/properties etc...

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Buy a shotgun and go down with both barrels blazing when the bailiffs turn up. Take a few of 'em with you, that's my advice.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ContractIn
    replied
    ever heard of Private Wealth Management ?!
    Yep, but how are these immune from the current crisis?

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    Anybody know the legal position for business bank accounts? I know the government guarantees the first 35£k for personal accounts but what protection do you get on a business bank account. If my business bank goes tits up what happens to cash in the account??
    ok so back to the question in hand...

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Oh-oh

just had a thought. Hargreaves Lansdown hold their sipp pension client money with HBOS.

I can't be the only one here who has a load in cash with them.........

Anyone know anything about this?

googling now.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
    Where are people who have large 6 figures savings, even 7 figure sums keeping their money? I would be papping myself with the current crisis and only being protected for 35k.
    ever heard of Private Wealth Management ?!
    Last edited by SandyDown; 17 September 2008, 09:08.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X