• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IT qualifications

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IT qualifications"

Collapse

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    .. and Barclays don't actually use Prince 2 either. Apart from that, spot on.
    I believe they do....

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    I thought the OP said that he was a BA? In which case, the ISEB qualification in Business Analysis would be better as a starting point rather than PRINCE2. Of course it's Just a shade uinder £2k (or it was when I last looked) so a bit more than the practitioners exam.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    Barclays are not IB
    .. and Barclays don't actually use Prince 2 either. Apart from that, spot on.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post

And as chef said - a winning personality and a drive to get things done goes a long way too.
    and big knockers

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Prince 2 is often asked for but the vast majority of companies will take an experienced non qualified PM over a newbie PM with Prince 2 and little or no experience.

PRINCE 2 does not guarantee project success is just guarantees your ass is covered if it goes wrong!

And as chef said - a winning personality and a drive to get things done goes a long way too.
    I heartily agree with your first and third points, but Prince2 doesn't guarantee anything, least of all covering your ass.

Experience >>>>>> Qualifications in any scenario I can think of.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Prince 2 is often asked for but the vast majority of companies will take an experienced non qualified PM over a newbie PM with Prince 2 and little or no experience.

PRINCE 2 does not guarantee project success is just guarantees your ass is covered if it goes wrong!

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Barclays are not IB
    I know...my point is that large financial institutions do use it.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    Barclays etc are very big on it...

Boring it may be, but that is a different point altogether.
    Barclays are not IB

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    I don't think it's boring. It depends on the project being run, the people involved, and I do actually think it serves a good purpose. The world is a better place having PRINCE2.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Maybe I've been working in IBs too long, none seem to use it.

Also noones yet mentioned the fact that PRINCE2 is just plain *boring*.
    Barclays etc are very big on it...

Boring it may be, but that is a different point altogether.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Prince2 isn't an IT qualification, it's a Project Management methodology that can be applied in running any type of project.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post

Erm, I'm sure you'll find no PM methodology rocks...

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    You may not rate it, but it is the one that employers seek, either as an essential skill, or a nice to have.
    Maybe I've been working in IBs too long, none seem to use it.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    If starting out, then qualifications are important - how else can an employer judge you? Once you have a few years' worth of destroying entire systems, faking your own death a few times to dodge Hector, learned the sacred art of blaming offshore colleagues for one's own gargantuan mistakes, then, and only then, are qualifications deemed moot. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    WTH?? why would anyone compare project management methodologies to information security qualifications???
    I think the comparison being made is between the choice of which one to study, not which is more useful. But then again it will depend on the individual and their own aspirations.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X