• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dress down day

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dress down day"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Who wears chinos these days? Nobody under 35 surely?
    I do and I'm 31 - not everyday but it is an option

Although pretty much everyone I work with is 40+ so it does have an impact on my work dress sense

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    That's 'cos I'm not an IT geek, perhaps? Stopped being one of them 16 years ago when I realised I was on my 13th OS and 7th programming language and needed to reskill all over again.

As for the T-shirt thing, a plain but well made one does look tidier than a business shirt with out a tie. And wearing a tie these days is even more geeky-looking - you look like a wannabe PwC drone.

However, go into one of the finance houses that still wear suits and it's the Saville Row look all the way. Horses for courses, at the end of the day.
    Wrong. Wearing a suit and a black t-shirt makes you look like a Steve Jobs wannabe and puts you firmly in the IT sphere. It's a step away from novelty ties.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    But he looks really cool. Not like an IT geek at all.
    That's 'cos I'm not an IT geek, perhaps? Stopped being one of them 16 years ago when I realised I was on my 13th OS and 7th programming language and needed to reskill all over again.

As for the T-shirt thing, a plain but well made one does look tidier than a business shirt with out a tie. And wearing a tie these days is even more geeky-looking - you look like a wannabe PwC drone.

However, go into one of the finance houses that still wear suits and it's the Saville Row look all the way. Horses for courses, at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Oh dear...
    But he looks really cool. Not like an IT geek at all.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Well normally I would - OK, not a pinstripe, just so passé - but the role here is an Interim Management thing and I really have to adhere to the prevailing culture. Hell, I even have to deal with Human Remains on a daily basis...

Still, out of here soon and back to normality.
    conservative and boring.
    But the big institutions like that.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Give me a good suit and a black T-shirt anyday.
    Oh dear...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Always dress impeccably in a pin-stripe and expensive shoes.
    Well normally I would - OK, not a pinstripe, just so passé - but the role here is an Interim Management thing and I really have to adhere to the prevailing culture. Hell, I even have to deal with Human Remains on a daily basis...

Still, out of here soon and back to normality.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Always dress impeccably in a pin-stripe and expensive shoes.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Give me a good suit and a black T-shirt anyday.
    You are Steve Jobs and I claim my £5.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    While sitting here in cargos and a rather nice Ben Sherman, I still hate dress down Fridays. 6:00 am is no time to be trying to work out what to put on that looks half-way decent (and with my shape that's even more of a problem!). Give me a good suit and a black T-shirt anyday.
    I like to present a smart front to my clients and it marks me out as different from the permies. My dress down Friday therefore has to allow for this so my Ltd company policy is go commando and not necessarily on Fridays.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    While sitting here in cargos and a rather nice Ben Sherman, I still hate dress down Fridays. 6:00 am is no time to be trying to work out what to put on that looks half-way decent (and with my shape that's even more of a problem!). Give me a good suit and a black T-shirt anyday.

Leave a comment:

• brianbetter
    replied
    well, not my jeans as we don't do dress down.

Hey, leave me alone..... I try and dress nicely, it is just that there has been a run on suits in Primark.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by brianbetter View Post
    no, i am a dirty, filthy , rat pimp!
    with KFC grease down your cheap suit no doubt!!!

Leave a comment:

• brianbetter
    replied
    no, i am a dirty, filthy , rat pimp!

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by brianbetter View Post
    if i was, i would not be here, on a Friday afternoon posting on here trying to digest an ill advised KFC.
    You're a permie then?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X