• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Small Car Recommendations"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/ActOnCO2/index...n_co2_rankings

Leave a comment:

• Likely
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Toyota Aygo (Group 1 insurance, 62 mpg, £35 road tax).
    Drives like a go-kart i.e. good fun. Very reliable and nippy round town.

Not for motorways although going downhill, fully laden, I managed 90 mph and got a Beemer to get out of my way
    He was prolly chocking up laughing...

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Small Car Recommendations

May need the some attention to the paintwork, but come on, it's cheap, and it is small.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    i have a c4 with the egs and it is a revelation. honestly, one day all cars will be like this. no clutch pedal but can be driven manual, semi or fully automatic. had it a year and it has been faultless. small and economical £35 tax & 60mpg. hardly a contractors car but i have something else too...
    As far as I know the EGS is not a double-clutch automated manual, but I'm glad to hear it is so smooth anyway. The C4 is my favourite car in the class, prefer it to a Focus or Golf on both looks and fuel economy.

It gets a good review here.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=269
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 11 September 2008, 09:03.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    how else are you going to get to the spare tyre? what? oh - i see.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    good rear access is always important

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Get a 10 year old Lexus for 5k. Use the £7k you saved over a new car to pay for the petrol and road tax. Drive in comfort.

OK, was that small enough?

Leave a comment:

• Mort
    replied
    5 - easily accessible spare tyre.
    6 - Big end showing no sign of "going"
    7 - Reasonable wear and tear on carpet
    8 - Frequent servicing intervals.
    9 - Big airbags
    10 - Gives lots of head...............room

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    good rear access is always important

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I find the best way to choose a car is to apply the same criteria when choosing a woman.

1st - Looks fantastic

2nd - Goes like the clappers

3rd - Reliable

4th - Cheap to own

HTH

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I find the best way to choose a car is to apply the same criteria when choosing a woman.

1st - Looks fantastic

3rd - Reliable

4th - Cheap to own

HTH
    Yes, as I mentioned to your wife yesterday, she definitely has qualities 2-4.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    There are versions of Citroen C4 and Peugot 107 and 308 with automatic gearboxes that are in VED band B. Though you may need to test drive them to see if you like the gearbox as they may be automated manuals rather than conventional automatics.
    i have a c4 with the egs and it is a revelation. honestly, one day all cars will be like this. no clutch pedal but can be driven manual, semi or fully automatic. had it a year and it has been faultless. small and economical £35 tax & 60mpg. hardly a contractors car but i have something else too...

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    The only reason for choosing a manual over the DSG gearbox would be cost. Reviewers of cars with double-clutch gearboxes have found that even when a particular model allowed them to take over control of the gear changes from the gearbox computer, they ended up driving in automatic mode, because it was so good....
    this is true i tend to let it do its thing i only use the paddles in sudden traffic change and/or occasionally flip it into sport mode to get extra speed out of a junction.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

1st - Looks fantastic

3rd - Reliable

4th - Cheap to own

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Have they improved the seats in the Corsa?

I sat in its predecessor, the Nova, for 15 seconds & decided the same idiot who designed the seats in the Chevette was still on staff...

The seats are fine, the main problem is that you have to reach a long way behind you to put the seat belts on

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    What about the car?
    Great minds....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X