• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "£1M house now only £25"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    What about stamp duty if you buy a £950K house for £25?
    Sounds like blatant evasion of taxes tbh, I think HM R&C are just waiting for the pot to fill up before busting it, they will probably wait for those 2 to sell house for "£25" and them do them for tax evasion (40% income tax seems the bare minimum they'd have to pay).

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    What about stamp duty if you buy a £950K house for £25?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Ok, they might do "legit" lottery, but surely they would not be able to consider it payment for the primary house which is tax exempt? Effectively they will have earned £1 mln and will surely have to pay 40% tax on it? If HM C&E are not interested then it would be wrong on so many levels...

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    They were on BBC Breakfast a couple of weeks back. I think they had done everything in a legit way, and said they'd turn it into a cash lottery if they didn't raise enough to buy the house.

The bloke seemed quite keen to tell the nation that you "can walk around naked if you want". His wife seemed a bit embaressed.
    Damn, I've just looked on Google maps satellite and I can't see any nudes. I demand compensation.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    They were on BBC Breakfast a couple of weeks back. I think they had done everything in a legit way, and said they'd turn it into a cash lottery if they didn't raise enough to buy the house.

The bloke seemed quite keen to tell the nation that you "can walk around naked if you want". His wife seemed a bit embaressed.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    They've done it legitimately as far as I could see. You have to answer a question that requires specific knowledge and they have picked a reasonable one. Nothing to stop you going away and looking it up of course, but the gaming laws were drafted before the days of t'interweb thingy.

Worth a punt if you ask me, and better odds than the lottery.
    The test of these questions is if anybody can get it wrong (such as the ITV4 quiz call type rubbish that's on late at night).

If they accept an answer that's wrong and still take you're £25 they should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I hope the house is better than their "MySpace" page.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=405240383

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No. I expect they'll be receiving a court summons shortly.

Game of pure skill is allowed, but not lottery based predominently on luck.

They've done it legitimately as far as I could see. You have to answer a question that requires specific knowledge and they have picked a reasonable one. Nothing to stop you going away and looking it up of course, but the gaming laws were drafted before the days of t'interweb thingy.

Worth a punt if you ask me, and better odds than the lottery.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

OK then, for a chance to win my six bedroomed house, answer this tricky question:

How many berooms does my house have?

a) 1
    b) 6
    c) Andy W

Send your entry to PRC Towers along with a cheque for £25 to cover my expenses.

The winner will be be drawn from a hat once I've collected £1.5 million.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Did they obtain proper lottery license to do stuff like this?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Did they obtain proper lottery license to do stuff like this?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I've heard of this sort of thing happening before, I believe that it's been known to pay off well for the people "selling".

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic £1M house now only £25

£1M house now only £25

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008...ty.houseprices

A five-bedroom house, complete with 9.5 acres of woodland, a two-acre fishing lake and four separate two-bed holiday lodges - one lucky person will win it all for £25. The owners, Brian and Wendy Wilshaw, will be winners too.

Last year they were struggling to sell the property, marketed at £950,000 just as the housing slump took hold. It had few viewings, and no offers.

But after launching an online prize competition at the website winadevonpropertywithfishing.co.uk, they've sold 34,000 tickets - that's £850,000 - and are in sight of their 46,000 target.
    Well, sort of.

Working...
X