• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Liverpool/Manchester"

Collapse

• someone has my name
    replied
    Cheers all,
    Standish ,Billinge bothsounds cool and Worsley? ..
    I am married now with a wee sprog .. so left the single lifestyle well behind!

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    According Wikipedia the last colliery closed in 1971, a little before Thatchers time. It's more famous for horse racing than anything.
    No, Parkside in Newton-Le-Willows (major employer in Haydock at the time) was a 10 min drive and that was going strong right up to the miner's strike, which was staunchly observed there, and affected the entire town in one way or another. As with most mining towns since, their industry has gone and nothing replaced it, so it has that 'living morgue' appeal. I wouldn't recommend living there. Standish or Billinge are both a bit classier/nicer scenery, but as Rootsnall pointed out, it's a pretty rural social scene.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I am from Morecambe.
    The land that time forgot ! It must of been both exciting and exotic working in Wigan.

I hadn't been to Morecambe for years but took the kids when they were moaning about the muddy beach at Arnside

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    But TLG is working Germany atm so you are pretty safe

For a comprehensive description of the Pie-Eater epithet H2G2 has a splendid entry.
    I am from Morecambe I'll have you know!!! Pie eater indeed. I did work there for a while though.
    Love that entry. Quite brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Watch out for the pie eaters, they will get you.
    I am one ! I'd be more wary of the lobby gobblers.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    But TLG is working Germany atm so you are pretty safe

For a comprehensive description of the Pie-Eater epithet H2G2 has a splendid entry.
    Last edited by DaveB; 10 September 2008, 11:22.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Haydock is ropey but is just about in the right spot to cover a wide spread of daily commutable contract work so you want to be looking for somewhere nicer but still near to the M6/M62. Standish and other green bits to the North and West of Wigan are OK but don't expect anything too exciting if you are still looking for a young free and single lifestyle.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    Haydock is a former mining community; even mentioning Thatcher there could lead to confrontation. Standish is about 2 junctions further up the M6 and is a much nicer town,
    Haydock is ropey but is just about in the right spot to cover a wide spread of daily commutable contract work so you want to be looking for somewhere nicer but still near to the M6/M62. Standish and other green bits to the North and West of Wigan are OK but don't expect anything too exciting if you are still looking for a young free and single lifestyle.

Leave a comment:

• brianbetter
    replied
    The Leafy Wirral

Come to the Leafy Wirral, Liverpool on one side over the Mersey, Wales on the over over the Dee and the Irish sea to the North. Surrounded by beach and home to many golf courses, inclduing Hoylake (The Open 2006) and Wallasey (home of Stableford).
    You are never more than 15 minutes from the sea or the countryside, the Welsh mountains are 40 minutes away and you can be in Liverpool or Manchester very quickly too.
    Heswall is the place to be, Rafa Benitez and many Liverpool players live there and for £1m you will get a pad overlooking the Welsh Hills with 6 bedrooms, swimming pool, etc.....

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    Haydock is a former mining community; even mentioning Thatcher there could lead to confrontation. Standish is about 2 junctions further up the M6 and is a much nicer town,

According Wikipedia the last colliery closed in 1971, a little before Thatchers time. It's more famous for horse racing than anything.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Electricity?! You were lucky... Back home in the north north we had to make do with candle power and then we thought we were lucky.

Aye back in those days things were though but we woz happy. Aye.
    Candles?? you don't know you were born lad!

We had to make do with knocking a nail against a stone and seein' by t'flashes from sparks like.
    unfortunately our kev was epileptic but we didna mind, watchin' him shakin beat any tv program

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Originally posted by someone has my name View Post
    So where up north,, is a good place to live? commutable distance between Manchester and Liverpool? ... was looking at Haydock? anygood?
    (and whats in a hot pot?)

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    its terrible up here in manchester, haven't you heard?

- nothing to see here, no need to come visit and check

in fact just stay in/around london it's far nicer and the people dont talk to you, you'll love it there.. plus,
    - we have no electricity or anything up here
    Electricity?! You were lucky... Back home in the north north we had to make do with candle power and then we thought we were lucky.

Aye back in those days things were though but we woz happy. Aye.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Pretty posh there.
    Good enough as a backdrop for Brideshead Revisited

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    What's in hotpot

A difficult question to answer because the purpose of it is to make a hot filling meal out of whatever bits you've got lying around. Still, it would be an odd hotpot that didn't have mainly potatoes, carrots and onions. Meat if you've got some - bacon's popular but bits of beef would do to. Never actually heard of one with kidneys or other offal, but it would be in the spirit of hotpot.

They used to have oysters in them, back in the days when they used to wash up on Morecambe beach and were cheaper than meat.

& being a Lancashire lad, I'm ashamed to admit it, but when London restaurants make it it's always much better than the native version!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X