• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House prices 10.5% cheaper"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'll tell you No. 1 what's not to like.

You buy a house at the peak (say £500K) on a 100% mortgage.

"Who cares, if it drops to say £300K" you say.

Your mortgage is coming to an end or is charging 2% more than the best deals. You really have to get a new mortgage.

You seek to remortgage and the new mortgage company asks for a valuation. It comes out at £300K in current market.

The new mortgage is 75% loan to value max.

This means you owe £500K and the most a lender will lend you is £225K. You need to find £275K cash to pay the lender.

HTH
    That'll teach people not to be rate tarts in the future won't it.

Did these people not learn "there no such thing as a free lunch"

tim

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Surely your house will sell at a "loss", thus negating the reduction in the house you buy?
    Uh 10% of £400k is £40k, 10% of £250k is £25k... c'mon it’s not that hard to work out shirley??

The higher up the ladder the bigger the discounts so you’re probably looking at 15% or maybe 20% off, as I said

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by sappatz View Post
    most UK are almost bankrupt anyway (legacy of flawed Blairites policies), Barclays, RBS (Sir Goodwin left), B&B (who could not raise a penny from stockholders), so mortgage applications are dropping like stones.
    Time to dust down the canoe methinks.

Leave a comment:

• sappatz
    replied
    UK banks

most UK are almost bankrupt anyway (legacy of flawed Blairites policies), Barclays, RBS (Sir Goodwin left), B&B (who could not raise a penny from stockholders), so mortgage applications are dropping like stones.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    But I'm looking to trade up so...

Just what the market needs.

People weren't swinging from the chandeliers’ when prices were going up by 3-4% every month yet they're gloomy about a drop of 10% over 12??? Get some perspective people ffs.
    Surely your house will sell at a "loss", thus negating the reduction in the house you buy?

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Crikey 10% discount, it must be a cracking time to buy.....

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

Your mortgage is coming to an end or is charging 2% more than the best deals. You really have to get a new mortgage.

You seek to remortgage and the new mortgage company asks for a valuation. It comes out at £300K in current market.

This means you owe £500K and the most a lender will lend you is £225K. You need to find £275K cash to pay the lender.

You are fooked and cannot refinance.

If you sell up you lose £200K of real money.

HTH
    But I'm looking to trade up so...

Just what the market needs.

People weren't swinging from the chandeliers’ when prices were going up by 3-4% every month yet they're gloomy about a drop of 10% over 12??? Get some perspective people ffs.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    You guys have mortgages...?????? I thought that was only something permies did or back in the 70s.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied

HTH
    Just take £275K out of your bank account and pay the lender.

What's the problem?

Leave a comment:

• GCR99
    replied

HTH
    there are alot of children masquerading as adults in this grown up world of ours. Most of them probably watched "Location, Location.." with that fat useless idiot Kirsty PoshBird, who kept telling everyone "Dont worry just borrow more and buy a bigger house, prices will never come down, and knock that wall down while you're at it"
    Now they have massive loans on rapidly decreasing equity, and are, as you succinctly put it "fooked"
    I myself, however, foresaw all this years ago and will welcome either plummeting or rising prices.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Seriously... what’s not to like???

HTH

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    started a topic House prices 10.5% cheaper

House prices 10.5% cheaper

Seriously... what’s not to like???

Unless you're selling up to move abroad I can't see how it can be a bad thing... for most people anyway.

Working...
X