• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dragons den last night"

Collapse

• ace00
    replied
    I assume it is child benefit / tax credits she's claiming? Seems legit in and of itself, though I think there is grounds for HMRC to investigate if the company operation is being manipulated in an illegal manner (to hide profits).

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    That's how I see it too.

She'll get the benefits whether she tries to get out of the benefits trap or not. I think there should be a scheme exactly for people on benefits to assist them if they want to setup a business rather than find a traditional job.
    Totally agree, i think there should be more incentives for people on benefits to better themselves and take control rather than the current situation.

Once the majority are on benefits they get such a good deal, why break your back working, its a sad way to look at it but true in most cases.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by jmars View Post
    Give the woman a break for needing a safety net for her kids while she's getting her business going. That's what benefits are there for. We all do what we can to have a better life for ourselves and our kids. If it's all declared like she said then she's doing nothing illegal or immoral. No more so than us paying ourselves a low salary to hide the extent of our wealth and therefore avoid tax.

At least she's not sitting on her arse all day watching daytime TV and teaching her kids to do the same. We should congratulate her for trying to better herself and encourage other benefit recipients to do the same.

That's how I see it too.

She'll get the benefits whether she tries to get out of the benefits trap or not. I think there should be a scheme exactly for people on benefits to assist them if they want to setup a business rather than find a traditional job.

Leave a comment:

• jmars
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Its her duty to do the best she can. She did nothing illegal. She could have done nothing and stayed on benefits.

Do you apply IR35 to your limited? Of course you don't! If the government implified the rules and behaved fairly instead of squeezing us covertly for every penny - then they would get alot more tax revenue.
    Give the woman a break for needing a safety net for her kids while she's getting her business going. That's what benefits are there for. We all do what we can to have a better life for ourselves and our kids. If it's all declared like she said then she's doing nothing illegal or immoral. No more so than us paying ourselves a low salary to hide the extent of our wealth and therefore avoid tax.

At least she's not sitting on her arse all day watching daytime TV and teaching her kids to do the same. We should congratulate her for trying to better herself and encourage other benefit recipients to do the same.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    Everyone should be given vouchers not money and there's a list of items available from those vouchers. Bread, milk, nappies, heating credits etc...

Benefits should be the minimum required to provide a life, not luxury items, if you're on benefits and want a sky tv subscription, you'll have to go out and work to get the cash 'cus it's not on the list.

It could be the sister list of the john lewis list; the lidl list!
    Excellent idea. I'd also limit benefits to a maximum of 1/2 minimum wage, so circa 5k a year, that would be enough to get basics and scrape by until finding work. Low earners would not pay tax on the first 10k of income so the poverty trap (does that really exist anymore) would be negated.
    The money saved could go toward those who really need it. Those who have decided to have kids while on benefits like the DD women should not be rewarded for their fecklessness.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    Did anyone see the woman selling her furniture business? She was on benefits yet had a company with an 180k turnover. She had sold another business for 11k but was getting the money in installments in order to avoid loss of said benefits. She reckoned she needed 60k earning from the business in order to leave benefits.

Beggars belief!

Surely this is a prime example of benefit fraud?
    Surely its better than her doing nothing, she's trying to better her life which is a much harder decision than staying on benefits forever.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    '

fine thank you old chap

and yourself ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    what is it they say, most people are too busy trying to make a living than trying to make real money
    Milan.
    Nope, most people are spending too much time dreaming about imaginary swimming pools rather than getting off their arse and use their talent.

Benes, how the hell are you?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Dalek,

'It warms the cockles of my heart to think that lice like these gits are noodling around on benefits while Mrs. Dalek and I get up at 6AM and get home at 8PM, having actually done real work. My wife's quite creative, but time seriously limits her chances of making it in any way, so no Dragons' Den or Harry Potter stardom for her any time soon.
    '

what is it they say, most people are too busy trying to make a living than trying to make real money

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Everyone should be given vouchers not money and there's a list of items available from those vouchers. Bread, milk, nappies, heating credits etc...

Benefits should be the minimum required to provide a life, not luxury items, if you're on benefits and want a sky tv subscription, you'll have to go out and work to get the cash 'cus it's not on the list.

They did use to give vouchers, but the single mums were complaining about the stigma of buying milk and bread with vouchers. Had nothing to do with the fact that they couldn't get their carry out with it.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Doesn't sound very New Labour to me! Where's the "fairness" in that? And what about minorities!!! You haven't thought it through. It's me hooman right guv.
    That's easy - just make sure the vouchers include halal meat, Supermalt, kosher products, Adidas tracksuits and Argos jewellery.

Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Doesn't sound very New Labour to me! Where's the "fairness" in that? And what about minorities!!! You haven't thought it through. It's me hooman right guv.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    It warms the cockles of my heart to think that lice like these gits are noodling around on benefits while Mrs. Dalek and I get up at 6AM and get home at 8PM, having actually done real work.
    Work? You are a contractor aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    That's a stupid theory. It would just make everything more expensive through inflation. You may as well give everyone zero and saying get off your ass and work.

As has already been said benefits should be for the old and unable to work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X