• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "British Airways - explain this..."

Collapse

• Incognito
    replied
    There used to be a website that allowed you to check flight prices and times connecting through LHR for Longhaul. I can't remember the name of it though. You still have to get a cheap ticket to the original country to catch the outgoing flight. You can't join at LHR.

Leave a comment:

• w3bdEw
    replied
    Yes it works.

Not my word but loads of people are doing it now to get cheaper flights via Australian website (mostly BA flights to US from around £230).

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/23396...from-uk-to-usa
    Last edited by w3bdEw; 27 August 2008, 10:18.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Does this work? I tried using www.expedia.com and found I couldn't book without a US billing address.

Leave a comment:

• w3bdEw
    replied
    or book using http://www.expedia.com.au
    Price for people down under is around £840 and ticket will be valid for you Direct.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    You can fly to Barcelona for the square root of feck all on one of the cheapy carriers, even if you need to stop there for a day or two you will save cash. Barcelona isn't a bad city to be in for a visit either so a bit of a win-win.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    No, you couldn't. If you got away with it on the day, they would come back and charge you the difference later.

You are indeed missing something: Spaniards can only be persuaded to pay £750, so that is their price. Brits can be persuaded to pay £1000, so that is what they have to pay.

Businesses don't call us Treasure Island for nothing.

No that's not the reason.

The reason is that the BCN-LHR-GRU is an indirect flight. In order to get people to book indirect, airlines have to charge less.

If you look, you will almost certainly find that a direct flight (if such a thing exists) from BCN-GLU is the same price as direct LHR - GRU. (and an indirect flight LHR-BCN-GRU is 750).

tim

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    http://www.tysknews.com/LiteStuff/buying_paint.htm

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    The British Airways flight from Barcelona via LHR to Sao Paolo is £750
    Is that some weird curvature of the earth thing, or is my geography a little confused?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    A British airways flight from LHR to Sao Paolo is £1000

On the same dates.

Could I just get on at LHR?

Or am I missing something?
    No, you couldn't. If you got away with it on the day, they would come back and charge you the difference later.

You are indeed missing something: Spaniards can only be persuaded to pay £750, so that is their price. Brits can be persuaded to pay £1000, so that is what they have to pay.

Businesses don't call us Treasure Island for nothing.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied

On the same dates.

... is the 'carbon emmisions offset charge' a load of old cock?
    Seems to be a lot of it about. I was looking at a flight for xmas nye break and it's £667 from LHR, change at AMS. Direct from AMS (same plane)? Over 1000 euro! I don't think it's just taxes but country specific marketing too.
    Carbon emmisions offset charge is essential for future of planet - poor people must not fly.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied

On the same dates.

If you do not get on at Barcelona then BA will automatically cancel your next flight.

What you are experiencing is what airlines try with their pricing to get the most revenue from each market, so flying from the UK is deemed more valuable to BA ie they think they can get more money out of the brits than Europeans.

Trying it out in the reverse sometimes works, e.g. look at the prices to Sao Paulo on Air France, KLM or Iberia, downside is though that you do not get a direct flight.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    started a topic British Airways - explain this...

British Airways - explain this...

On the same dates.

Working...
X