• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Confused of Manchester"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveCo View Post
    I would always favour driving along between both lanes at high speed and if stopped by the fuzz point out the bit on your licence that says "tear along dotted line".
    Sorry!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveCo View Post
    I would always favour driving along between both lanes at high speed and if stopped by the fuzz point out the bit on your licence that says "tear along dotted line".
    Sorry!

it's not sorry

it's igmc (I'll get me coat - eric and ernie) - funny though

tear along the dotted line

must add that to me repetoire

Leave a comment:

• SteveCo
    replied
    Sorry!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    Port and starboard are obviously too hard for our new generations of media studies graduates to understand. I propose we switch to using "right" and "no, the other right".

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Port and starboard are obviously too hard for our new generations of media studies graduates to understand. I propose we switch to using "right" and "no, the other right".

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Hardly new words, they've been doing it since before medieval times.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.17900
    Yep, a hangup from ancient times, and like fathoms and chains we should strive to rid ourselves of nasty confusing imperial measures that still abound and not revel in the delusion that duplicate words add intrinsic value or circumvent the relative nature of everything, which includes left and right and orientation. Seafarers continue to use antiquated units for speed too, and probably distance FFS.

Starboard, I'm thinking there is little port to say on this.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Jim Laaaaaaaaaad!

Splice the mainbrace....

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest....

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
    It is not "talk like a pirate" day for nearly a month. Calm down old thing.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    The road I come to work on has only two lanes. The recent discussion about middle laners being no brainers has left me confused.

Which lane should I use ?

The left one - the same one you should use if there is three lanes!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    How are port and starboard defined? Right and left could be defined the same as these on a ship. Making up new words to do this doesn't alter anything except add new words.
    Hardly new words, they've been doing it since before medieval times.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.17900

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Turn right. Turn left. Simple enough. If somehow reversing, then issue instructions along the lines of, "Reverse and steer left." Bringing sailing terminology down to the level of road users' terminology would, though, never be accepted by the mouse droppings that like to sail. I have (once was once too much) sailed with sailing luvees, and their snooty ways made me feel sicker than the swell of the water ever could.
    1/2 astern 10 degrees port rudder....easy

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Because Right and left on a ship would never change, whereas right and left for the people aboard would still change relative to their orientation. this would cause even more confusion.

Port is always the same side of the vessel no matter which way you are facing. so if you say go to port there is only one way you can possibly go.
    How are port and starboard defined? Right and left could be defined the same as these on a ship. Making up new words to do this doesn't alter anything except add new words.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Because that would depend on which way you were facing.
    Giving the helmsman instruction to go deg right when when going astern, when he is facing forward when you are facing aft could be a tad confusing for both parties.

Facing Forward (bow) Port is Left Stb'd is Right. Nav Lights are Port Red Stb'd Green. (easy to remember if you think of a glass of port being red)
    Turn right. Turn left. Simple enough. If somehow reversing, then issue instructions along the lines of, "Reverse and steer left." Bringing sailing terminology down to the level of road users' terminology would, though, never be accepted by the mouse droppings that like to sail. I have (once was once too much) sailed with sailing luvees, and their snooty ways made me feel sicker than the swell of the water ever could.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Diver explained. a glass of port is red. right?
    what color is a glass of left ? exactermon:
    If they wanted to use new words they might just as well have used gauche and droit

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Why not define 'right' and 'left' on a ship to be as the new defined words define right and left rather than make up new words for them? The new words seem to add nothing.
    Because Right and left on a ship would never change, whereas right and left for the people aboard would still change relative to their orientation. this would cause even more confusion.

Port is always the same side of the vessel no matter which way you are facing. so if you say go to port there is only one way you can possibly go.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Why not define 'right' and 'left' on a ship to be as the new defined words define right and left rather than make up new words for them? The new words seem to add nothing.
    Diver explained. a glass of port is red. right?
    what color is a glass of left ? exactermont

Leave a comment:

Working...
X