• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Londoner's -

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Londoner's -"

Collapse

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    London's a bog.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    That was its raison d'être. Now it has none.
    Was indeed referring to Roman / Norman / Saxon reasons. But still valid. Most of our trade goes over / under the channel so the reason is still relevant. Any relocation should take it further south.

I might do a poll.......<*fnarf*>

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    You're northern aren't you?
    Does it show?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    As a Liverpudlian, I felt tempted to point out your incorrect use of an apostrophe in "Londoners", and your misspelling of "where".

So I did.

HTH
    it was 20 past twelve I was operating on emtppy I'm only just up must inject cahffinee

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Can we transport Londoner's to the moon? Cause clearly that's were their heads are.

Talk about short sighted.

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...20080814001538
    I would like independence for London - the border would be the M25.

Boris Johnson for PM! The rest of you can keep Gordo.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    By road rail and sea that may make a difference for Europe, but Glasgow is only half an hour further away by air.
    Why not make London a great big lorry park and rail head. A distribution centre for the rest of the UK.

You're northern aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    It's near the continent and has a great big river, I'd have thought that is it's raison.
    That was its raison d'être. Now it has none.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    The guy in charge was German. He was on Jeremey Vine show yesterday (unlike Jeremey Vine who's never on it), and what he was saying made a lot of sense: basically that if we're going to build a lot of new houses (as the government wants) it might be better to do it where the jobs are.
    India?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    It's a right wing think tank, got SFA to do with London.
    The guy in charge was German. He was on Jeremey Vine show yesterday (unlike Jeremey Vine who's never on it), and what he was saying made a lot of sense: basically that if we're going to build a lot of new houses (as the government wants) it might be better to do it where the jobs are.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    It's a right wing think tank, got SFA to do with London.

Maybe ask DP what he thinks?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    It's near the continent and.
    By road rail and sea that may make a difference for Europe, but Glasgow is only half an hour further away by air.
    has a great big river, I'd have thought that is it's raison.
    The river is on the wrong side of the country for sea going transport to anywhere but Europe.

Why not make London a great big lorry park and rail head. A distribution centre for the rest of the UK. Why not remove the subsidies on Londons airports to allow the regions to compete fairly. Why not encourage Government departments to move to the regions, especialy those that deal with the regions. Why not encourage business to move out by upgrading the regions communications capabilities as a higher priority than London.

London can not keep taking in more and more business and the people that go with it. It is close to bursting point. Yet all policy seems to be London centric for both business and Government.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    They say that the original raison d'etre for northern cities being where they are (shipping trade, mostly) no longer applies, so these cities are no longer viable without subsidy.

Surely this applies to London too? Without all the apparatus of central government, which is tantamount to the biggest subsidy in the country, there would be no reason to have a city there either.
    It's near the continent and has a great big river, I'd have thought that is it's raison.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Can we transport Londoner's to the moon? Cause clearly that's were their heads are.

They say that the original raison d'etre for northern cities being where they are (shipping trade, mostly) no longer applies, so these cities are no longer viable without subsidy.

Surely this applies to London too? Without all the apparatus of central government, which is tantamount to the biggest subsidy in the country, there would be no reason to have a city there either.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    As a Liverpudlian, I felt tempted to point out your incorrect use of an apostrophe in "Londoners", and your misspelling of "where".

So I did.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied

If we could transport northerners to the moon we'd save a fortune on benefits.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X