• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House prices and stamp duty"

Collapse

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by wonderwaif View Post
    This is all well and good, and I'm impressed with all you deep thinkers, but my original question was simply that I thought the government had proposed re-evaluation on Council Tax on the grounds that house prices had been rising. Am I wrong in thinking that? If so, fair enough, if not I go back to my sauce for the goose.
    The council tax rebanding exercise was to see if any properties (or whole areas) had gone up or down (like that is ever going to be recognised) since CT was introduced.
    It was not linked to the rise in property values per se, The bands would stil be A, B, C, etc, but some properties may have crossed from A to B or C to D (low to high whichever way round that is).
    So sauce for the goose..... would only apply if your property had fallen in value disproportionaly to others in your band. If all property falls by 50% then all properties will remain in the same band even if those band labels change. The amount payable will still be the same per band not matter the value of the property.

Leave a comment:

• wonderwaif
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    No, not at all. You do not pay council tax on the value of your property, not like you pay VAT on the price of something you buy. In that case the tax is actually about the item price; in council tax, it is just a way of assessing tax liability.

You pay your share of council tax, and the size of your share relative to others' shares is assessed by looking at the value of your property relative to others' properties. If all property does up or down in value proportionately, there is no change in anyone's tax.

You are falling into the classic trap of describing as "fair" what you might like to see.
    This is all well and good, and I'm impressed with all you deep thinkers, but my original question was simply that I thought the government had proposed re-evaluation on Council Tax on the grounds that house prices had been rising. Am I wrong in thinking that? If so, fair enough, if not I go back to my sauce for the goose.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    3 bed for £825k cheap as chips, I agree though a little shabby in my opinion... not fit for a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7556887.stm

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    You're right, I do know that. Just pointing out that dang65's argument SHOULD, in a fair society, work both ways.
    No, not at all. You do not pay council tax on the value of your property, not like you pay VAT on the price of something you buy. In that case the tax is actually about the item price; in council tax, it is just a way of assessing tax liability.

You pay your share of council tax, and the size of your share relative to others' shares is assessed by looking at the value of your property relative to others' properties. If all property does up or down in value proportionately, there is no change in anyone's tax.

You are falling into the classic trap of describing as "fair" what you might like to see.
    Last edited by expat; 13 August 2008, 16:06.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Gros View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I understand the sarcasm from some of you. But I should say that we are in a reasonably well to do part of London, and I'm not sure things are quite as bad here as in some places. There certainly still seems to be a fair amount of activity on the market.

Maybe you are all correct, once I get a valuation I may be in for a shock. However, if it has reached as low as 250 at least it solves the stamp duty problem!

It doesn't really matter what the values are to be honest - our problem is finding something we want at an affordable price. So the lower they go, I suppose the more chance there is that we will. The biggest problem, as you say, is going to be finding buyers.

Does it come complete with a fully functional Kebab shop underneath?

Leave a comment:

• wonderwaif
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Fair can very rarely be applied to taxes.
    Amen to that brother.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    You're right, I do know that. Just pointing out that dang65's argument SHOULD, in a fair society, work both ways.
    Fair can very rarely be applied to taxes.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Quite average (below in many areas) for a 2 bed maisonette... isn't it?
    Very possibly. I wouldn't want to guess.

Leave a comment:

• wonderwaif
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Is NEVER sauce for the gander when it comes to taxes as you know perfectly well.

Leave a comment:

• Gros
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    Not at c.£250k, Shirley...
    Quite average (below in many areas) for a 2 bed maisonette... isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    "As for bandings being re-evaluated because property prices have dropped... as long as all property prices are dropping at a similar rate everywhere then the bandings surely remain the same."

I thought the Governmint had not that long ago proposed re-banding on the grounds that house prices had been soaring. Sauce for the goose......
    Is NEVER sauce for the gander when it comes to taxes as you know perfectly well.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    I understand the sarcasm from some of you. But I should say that we are in a reasonably well to do part of London
    Not at c.£250k, Shirley...

Leave a comment:

• wonderwaif
    replied
    "As for bandings being re-evaluated because property prices have dropped... as long as all property prices are dropping at a similar rate everywhere then the bandings surely remain the same."

I thought the Governmint had not that long ago proposed re-banding on the grounds that house prices had been soaring. Sauce for the goose......

Leave a comment:

• Gros
    replied
    Thanks for the replies.

I understand the sarcasm from some of you. But I should say that we are in a reasonably well to do part of London, and I'm not sure things are quite as bad here as in some places. There certainly still seems to be a fair amount of activity on the market.

Maybe you are all correct, once I get a valuation I may be in for a shock. However, if it has reached as low as 250 at least it solves the stamp duty problem!

It doesn't really matter what the values are to be honest - our problem is finding something we want at an affordable price. So the lower they go, I suppose the more chance there is that we will. The biggest problem, as you say, is going to be finding buyers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X