• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House prices and stamp duty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My BTL flat that's been on the market for 6 months has dropped from £330 and I can't get a buyer at £280. I'm renting it out again as it's worth more to me rented - I don't need to sell. If I did, I'd have to cut the price some more.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I understand the sarcasm from some of you. But I should say that we are in a reasonably well to do part of London, and I'm not sure things are quite as bad here as in some places. There certainly still seems to be a fair amount of activity on the market.

Maybe you are all correct, once I get a valuation I may be in for a shock. However, if it has reached as low as 250 at least it solves the stamp duty problem!

It doesn't really matter what the values are to be honest - our problem is finding something we want at an affordable price. So the lower they go, I suppose the more chance there is that we will. The biggest problem, as you say, is going to be finding buyers.

Comment

"As for bandings being re-evaluated because property prices have dropped... as long as all property prices are dropping at a similar rate everywhere then the bandings surely remain the same."

I thought the Governmint had not that long ago proposed re-banding on the grounds that house prices had been soaring. Sauce for the goose......
        Boom boom boom boom
        A-haw haw haw haw
        Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
        Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Gros View Post
          I understand the sarcasm from some of you. But I should say that we are in a reasonably well to do part of London
          Not at c.£250k, Shirley...
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderwaif View Post
            "As for bandings being re-evaluated because property prices have dropped... as long as all property prices are dropping at a similar rate everywhere then the bandings surely remain the same."

I thought the Governmint had not that long ago proposed re-banding on the grounds that house prices had been soaring. Sauce for the goose......
            Is NEVER sauce for the gander when it comes to taxes as you know perfectly well.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
              Not at c.£250k, Shirley...
              Quite average (below in many areas) for a 2 bed maisonette... isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                Is NEVER sauce for the gander when it comes to taxes as you know perfectly well.
                You're right, I do know that. Just pointing out that dang65's argument SHOULD, in a fair society, work both ways.
                Boom boom boom boom
                A-haw haw haw haw
                Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
                Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Gros View Post
                  Quite average (below in many areas) for a 2 bed maisonette... isn't it?
                  Very possibly. I wouldn't want to guess.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderwaif View Post
                    You're right, I do know that. Just pointing out that dang65's argument SHOULD, in a fair society, work both ways.
                    Fair can very rarely be applied to taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                      Fair can very rarely be applied to taxes.
                      Amen to that brother.
                      Boom boom boom boom
                      A-haw haw haw haw
                      Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
                      Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Working...
                      X