• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Did anyone understand Peter Jones on Dragons' Den?"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Yes and no - we ran SCO Xenix on 086 and 286/386 boxes in the 80s. Even at the time some customer's IT departments said what we were doing wasn't possible.
    Hmmm, "Chase Research, Terminal Concentrators"...

Xenix, PCMOS...

Those were the days...

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Bottom line green computers = iMac

any second now...
    You can also get an iMac in blue

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Bottom line green computers = iMac

any second now...

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Just watched this (had it Sky+'d) and as soon as the guy said 'green computing', thought it was a sh!t idea.

I believe most of the large manufacturers are looking at reducing power consumption in their kit anyway - if they haven't been for the last year or so.

For once, glad someone got ripped to shreds by the dragons and actually laughed at one of the grumpy jocks jokes.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Go work for Sun. Desks full of thin client terminals. Save your session to the chip on your ID card, drive to Warwick, put the ID card in the desktop and carry on where you left off. Brilliant...

There's a school fit out going on near me. Talking to one of the PMs and he was saying his big headache is security of all those 90-odd PCs spread through the classrooms. "Why not use a blade server, VMWare and KVM's?" I said, "That way only screens and keyboards are out in the open, and you can control external access attempts through DVD/CD and USB". "What's VMWare?" was the reply...

I always said the worst thing that happened to IT was the 8086 chip and Gates. Without them we would be running proper multi-threaded OS's by now - bit like Apple were in the 80s - instead of MS bloatware.
    Burn him!

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Go work for Sun. Desks full of thin client terminals. Save your session to the chip on your ID card, drive to Warwick, put the ID card in the desktop and carry on where you left off. Brilliant...

There's a school fit out going on near me. Talking to one of the PMs and he was saying his big headache is security of all those 90-odd PCs spread through the classrooms. "Why not use a blade server, VMWare and KVM's?" I said, "That way only screens and keyboards are out in the open, and you can control external access attempts through DVD/CD and USB". "What's VMWare?" was the reply...

I always said the worst thing that happened to IT was the 8086 chip and Gates. Without them we would be running proper multi-threaded OS's by now - bit like Apple were in the 80s - instead of MS bloatware.
    They couldn't manage that at Ericsson. A communications company FFS.

Flew to Karlskrona for a two day seminar, couldn't even access my email. It wouldn't be so bad except that it was held on a server somewhere in Sweden even when I was in the UK.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Yes and no - we ran SCO Xenix on 086 and 286/386 boxes in the 80s. Even at the time some customer's IT departments said what we were doing wasn't possible.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    let you know when they arrive. If they're crunchy, they will be smarties ...

err, forget that one

I would say try them on a child first, but after witnessing my little Nephew chewing on a slug a few years back, I'd say the results would be inconclusive

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Sure they weren't Smarties
    let you know when they arrive. If they're crunchy, they will be smarties ...

err, forget that one

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I keep a note of all my 'ideas that will make me a million'. The missus asked me to write them down.
    Two weeks ago I said, 'wouldnt it be good if we could buy a packet of ladybirds to eat the green fly off of these monkey nut plants'

next day she found a web site that sells tubes of live lady birds

I tulip you not

Sure they weren't Smarties

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Just you wait until I show them my home fusion generator.
    Now if I can just learn to harness the power/heat released from burning H2o when my Daughter cooks!!! Hmmm?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I tulip you not

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Just you wait until I show them my home fusion generator.
    I keep a note of all my 'ideas that will make me a million'. The missus asked me to write them down.
    Two weeks ago I said, 'wouldnt it be good if we could buy a packet of ladybirds to eat the green fly off of these monkey nut plants'

next day she found a web site that sells tubes of live lady birds

I tulip you not

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Last edited by malvolio; 5 August 2008, 13:09.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    I assumed they edited it badly...they started debating thin client / dumb terminal out of nowhere...

Absolute useless twit though trying to pitch nothing but a BIOS and a label.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X