• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trolls amongst us ..."

Collapse

• stackpole
    replied
    I think the problem began right here:
    His classmates created a virtual memorial on MySpace and garlanded it with remembrances.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Bag of tulip. Maybe we should 'troll' these tossers. I bet they can't take what they dish out...
    Bring it on Porky

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    A summary for those who can't be bothered to read even page 1..

One afternoon in the spring of 2006, Mitchell Henderson, a seventh grader from Rochester, Minn., took a .22-caliber rifle and shot himself in the head..

His classmates created a virtual memorial on MySpace and garlanded it with remembrances. One wrote that Mitchell was “an hero to take that shot” Someone e-mailed a clipping of Mitchell’s newspaper obituary to MyDeathSpace.com, a Web site that links to the MySpace pages of the dead. From MyDeathSpace, Mitchell’s page came to the attention of an Internet message board known as /b/ and the “trolls,” as they have come to be called, who dwell there…

Something about Mitchell Henderson struck the denizens of /b/ as funny.[. They were especially amused by a reference on his MySpace page to a lost iPod. Mitchell Henderson, /b/ decided, had killed himself over a lost iPod..
    Someone hacked Henderson’s MySpace page and gave him the face of a zombie. Someone placed an iPod on Henderson’s grave, took a picture and posted it to /b/. ..

The phone began ringing at Mitchell’s parents’ home. “It sounded like kids,” remembers Mitchell’s father. “They’d say, ‘Hi, this is Mitchell, I’m at the cemetery.’ ‘Hi, I’ve got Mitchell’s iPod.’ ‘Hi, I’m Mitchell’s ghost, the front door is locked. Can you come down and let me in?’ ” He sighed. “It really got to my wife.” The calls continued for a year and a half."

I think that's far beyond anything you'd see here..

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Bag of tulip. Maybe we should 'troll' these tossers. I bet they can't take what they dish out...
    Summer Holiday

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    some pseudo journey trying to write history of trolling and making it interesting by using some real people. Most likely 100% inaccurate.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    It's a post-modernistic article. The reporter is himself being trolled by these people who attempt to make themselves seem interesting by trolling others for no other reason than to make up for their own insecurities. But are we being trolled by the article itself.....?

etc....

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    "You must be a registered member of NYTimes.com".

Ho hum

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Yeah, can we have a summary - only managed 1 page.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/ma...olls-t.html?hp

Interesting article - we think ours are bad, some of these guys take the biscuit.
    Only read the first 2 pages of that article. Most of that stuff seems extremely malicious as opposed to a bit of joshing that goes on here most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    started a topic Trolls amongst us ...

Trolls amongst us ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/ma...olls-t.html?hp

Interesting article - we think ours are bad, some of these guys take the biscuit.

Working...
X