• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to save £100 a year"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    I hate to make a splash, so I'm always slow and careful when backing one out

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I always reverse in to a parking space so that I can make a quick getaway!!!!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I used to reverse park, on the basis that a little extra work done now made it easier to leave later.

Then I worked out it made no sense.

The average ease of parking/leaving is not affected by whether you reverse park or not, either way you have to go into narrow space once and out once, and drive forward once and backward once, but reverse parking makes things worse by the alternative metric of the maximum of complexity, since you combine the two more difficult operations, reversing and going into the confined space.
    It's easier reversing into a space because cars are steered from the front, making the back more manouverable, and because getting out is an inverse opertion of getting in, getting out will be easier too! Next.
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 31 July 2008, 05:58.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    IMHO mainly birds reverse into parking spaces because they don't like to reverse out when it's busy.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    I used to reverse park, on the basis that a little extra work done now made it easier to leave later.

Then I worked out it made no sense.

The average ease of parking/leaving is not affected by whether you reverse park or not, either way you have to go into narrow space once and out once, and drive forward once and backward once, but reverse parking makes things worse by the alternative metric of the maximum of complexity, since you combine the two more difficult operations, reversing and going into the confined space.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    My tip:

Park on an incline so that you can freewheel backwards without starting the engine.

Cost of fuel to exit parking spot = ZERO
    I used to do that when I were a lad. Saved push starting it. Didn't have a starter motor.

I reckon engine friction must add quite a bit to the cost of running a car. I wonder how much could be saved if, on a slight decline and tailgating a juggernaut, you glide out of gear until reaching say 50 mph, then go back up to 70 mph? All the while the engine would be idling naturally, we wouldn't want to do something dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The original article is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7511266.stm

The idea is you should do complicated manoeuvres when the engine is warm. It was floating around over 25 years ago - my dad always used to reverse into parking spaces, with the claim that it saved fuel. It may do, but he was so bad at reversing into parking spaces, he probably used more fuel then if he'd reversed out.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    Blocked here.
    Humph.
    Shame, that page isn't bad, but other pages on the site might be.

You could try pumping it through my bouncer:

http://www.bampotty.com/cgi-bin/read...ly-trying.html

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Blocked here.

Humph.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Next week, how to save £45 a year by hopping on alternate legs.
    What happens if you're a monoped?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    NSFW?

Code:
    Access to this web page is forbidden. 
    http://www.cracked.com/article_16484_6-retarded-gas-saving-schemes-people-are-actually-trying.html 
    Category= Violence

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    My tip:

Park on an incline so that you can freewheel backwards without starting the engine.

Cost of fuel to exit parking spot = ZERO

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    http://www.cracked.com/article_16484...ly-trying.html

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    How much could I save by getting my kids to clean chimneys?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Next week, how to save £45 a year by hopping on alternate legs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X