• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Washer dryer, repair or replace"

Collapse

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    Get pissed, throw it in your neighbours garden, then key the b'stads car when he complains.
    Aaaaahhhh. Wise are you in The Way of the Chav.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Move to a bigger house that can accomodate a seperate washing maching and dryer.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Get pissed, throw it in your neighbours garden, then key the b'stads car when he complains.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    If you have the space get seperate washer dryers, this way they tend to be more simple & less likley to go wrong & when one breaks you only need to replace 1 unit

But if you do get a combo unit then yes get the insurance - it saved me alot of money

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    £2.50 a month? Isn't most breakdown insurance much more expensive than that? I'm normally opposed to insurance when it can be avoided, but I am curious who this is with and what the smallprint says.
    Currys/Comet usually always offer you either a 'lump sum' 2 or 3 year extended warranty, or in recent years this ongoing neverending drip £2.50 or £3.50 a month (depends on the value of the goods insured)

We havent actually bought a dishwasher in years, when they no longer deem it fit to be repaired they send us a voucher covering it's replacement cost which we take down to Currys and get a new one, and another policy.

After the first couple of times I thought they would stop offering me the policy, but seems not.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    £2.50 a month? Isn't most breakdown insurance much more expensive than that? I'm normally opposed to insurance when it can be avoided, but I am curious who this is with and what the smallprint says.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I'll order the new machine then.
    When we buy a machine, we get one of those £2.50 a month insurance jobbies which does a like-for-like replacement if they can't fix it.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Well this poll has been far more useful than I expected. Thanks to all who voted.

I was leaning towards repair, but in the face of more than 80% saying otherwise I've changed my mind.

In the meantime I've discovered I can get a machine for £280 delivered that has a feature mine doesn't, sensor as opposed to timed drying.

When my plumber re-appears to complete work on my bathroom I will see if he has the time to do repair, I doubt he will charge me more than £30, but then I doubt he has the time as he should have finished the bathroom weeks ago. (He does all sort of jobs including electrical work for me, and he did comment in passing that he could look at the machine for me.)

(The £98 cost of repair was the fixed-price quote by manufacturer's people.)

Assuming he doesn't have time, I'll order the new machine then.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 29 July 2008, 16:47.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post

Well, yeah. I might do things like that

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Miele Washer dryer was least reliable one I ever had - wouldn't waste the money on a "quality" one again.
    Ditto for Bosch

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by s2budd View Post
    If current machine = miele
    then
    Fix
    else
    Buy a miele from John Lewis.
    Done.

Off you go.
    Miele Washer dryer was least reliable one I ever had - wouldn't waste the money on a "quality" one again.

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    It's simple.

If current machine = miele
    then
    Fix
    else
    Buy a miele from John Lewis.
    Done.

Off you go.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Buy a new one – get the economy going. Shinny new buttons and lights etc.

Not sure I’d bother with the dryer bit. Just drape your clothes over the backs of chairs etc and they dry anyway is my feeling, or am I being too much of a ‘bloke’?

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    8 votes for buying a new one and 1 vote for repairing the old one.

The CUKers have spoken.

Splash the cash.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Buy a new one – get the economy going. Shinny new buttons and lights etc.

Not sure I’d bother with the dryer bit. Just hang the stuff up and they dry anyway is my feeling, or am I being too much of a ‘bloke’?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X