• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SE Relocating - advice wanted"

Collapse

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    Trouble with all these places is that you can have a lovely area surrounded by beruitsville.
    I think that applies to most, if not all, cities in the country. Just goes to show that New Labour's social engineering efforts are nothing new.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Guildford is nice - I lived there for a few years - town, country and good trains.

Trouble with all these places is that you can have a lovely area surrounded by beruitsville. Croydon is like that, brilliant for trains, shopping and coutryside at your fingertips, but choose the wrong part and you need a passport and gun.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I am just helping a builder with new flats at Wimbledon Chase - supermarket downstairs with flats above.

All the benefits of Wimbledon with easy access to the A3

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Malingering BA View Post
    Wimbledon = 15 mins to Waterloo with trains every 3-4 mins at peak times.
    Closer to 20 mins. I haven't got from Wimbledon to Waterloo in 15 mins since they got rid of the "fast" trains 3 or 4 years ago.

Another thing to recommend about Wimbledon is the multiple routes (Train/District Tube/Nothern Tube) available to you if things go to rat-tulip on any particular line.

Leave a comment:

• Malingering BA
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Guildford is 40 mins out which is a little too far - I was really looking for 30 mins max.
    Wimbledon = 15 mins to Waterloo with trains every 3-4 mins at peak times.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Walton on Thames

Walton is not bad. I used to live there and still kept my flat. It's about 30 mins from Waterloo and so it more depends where you are relative to the station.

They have redevloped the town centre so there are a lot of nice restaurants and shops without going to Kingston or further.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Guildford fulfils all your requirements. And it has the Royal Surrey Hospital.
    Guildford is 40 mins out which is a little too far - I was really looking for 30 mins max.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally Posted by PRC1964
    Wimbledon village is OK, but is surrounded by nasty areas.
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Which would those be?
    SE England

Leave a comment:

• Malingering BA
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    Maybe not very close, but Plough Lane is grotty.
    Not very close is correct. Not remotely close is nearer the mark. The village and surrounds all the way to Putney Heath are nice but expensive. Wimbledon Village High Street is a nice assortment of independent shops, restaurants and smart (i.e. no yobs) pubs and bars. Wimbledon Common is there of course as well.

Down the hill in Wimbledon Town (where the train station is - 15 mins to Waterloo) is typical High Street land, i.e. an innoffensive but unremarkable collection of national chain shops and an indoor shopping centre, although a lot of school kids hang around outside at school chucking out time as lots of bus services converge there. They're generally well behaved though. Closest hospital is the St Georges complex in Tooting or the Nelson Hospital (for outpatients) in Wimbledon Chase.
    Last edited by Malingering BA; 28 July 2008, 10:32.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I'd appreciate any advice on relocating - we're currently living in Hampshire and we're thinking of relocating somewhere closer to London and were looking for a nice area in Surrey no more than 30 mins from Waterloo - does anyone have any suggestions where might be a good place to start looking? Money's not really that big an issue as we're downsizing and don't need or want a particularly large house. Finding somewhere with a quick commute into Waterloo and also somewhere my wife (who is ill) will feel safe during the day on her own are the top priorities.

I was thinking of Surbiton or Esher - anyone live/d there?
    Guildford fulfils all your requirements. And it has the Royal Surrey Hospital.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Which would those be?
    Maybe not very close, but Plough Lane is grotty.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    Wimbledon village is OK, but is surrounded by nasty areas.
    Which would those be?

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Lived in Richmond, Twickenham, Strawberry Hill (all nice) - Isleworth (not nice). Now living in Shepperton (best so far) - the commute from here is about 60 mins into Waterloo though.

Just over the bridge is Walton-on-Thames - that would probably be better for you - they've just done up the 'town' centre, and there are fast trains into Waterloo (25 mins IIRC).

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    I lived in Esher and commuted into Waterloo last year. It is slightly snoozevile but is by far the most pleasant place I have lived. For rental, you can get a flat neat the station for about 1250 per month. The same flat is available to buy for 330k. You can probably get it for less than that - I know, I lived there and it has been empty for 3 months

Train pass was £195pm and the journey was about 22-25 mins with a seat.

I used to live in Kingston, bit of a shed but it was ok. However Kingston Hospital was easy to get to from Esher as well. Parking can be a nightmare though.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Kingston is a 'no no' btw.
    Yeah Mon, Jamaica is a long commute to London.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X