• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: RIP economics

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "RIP economics"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    You're just a pathetic individual SPASGURU and I can understand now why posters on here have their attitude towards you.

Yes I do like SPAs in general

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    In my days in the licensed trade, I once had the misfortune of working the bar
    You see, kids? This is how we used to pay the bills while were waiting for the 3rd generation computer languages to be written (probably by Zeity). Selling our bits in sleazy clubs and bars to pay for beer. Times was tough, back then.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    as opposed to impressive arts

In my days in the licensed trade, I once had the misfortune of working the bar (the contract for providing which had gone to the pub where I then worked) for the invitation-only first night of the Fine Arts Graduation Exhibition at the local polytechnic.

After all the punters had gone, and the bar stuff was packed up in the Transit, there were just my boss, the poly security chap, and myself left in there, and we had a wander around the gallery.

Pausing in front of one particular "work", my boss (who was a graduate, an accomplished musician, and generally no slouch when it came to the arts) gestured towards it and said, "Now that, to me, is just a waste of paint and canvas."

The security chap nodded, and added "And he got a First for that!"

And it was true...

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Aargh! Don't bite, He's playing the baiting game

>Shakes head and walks away<

I wish you had advised me of that earlier

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    You're just a pathetic individual SPASGURU and I can understand now why posters on here have their attitude towards you.
    Aargh! Don't bite, He's playing the baiting game

>Shakes head and walks away<

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You really are a Cyberdimwit aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    ... and we need people who know how the keep the lights on.
    Who for? Everyone is leaving.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post

PS "expressive arts" as opposed to what sort of arts exactly?
    as opposed to impressive arts

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I have qualifications in economics and I would say it has been useful in my analysing where the current government have been going wrong. Understanding the principles of supply and demand is a good start.

I think I was one of the few that predicted a housing crash just over a year ago, while the vast majority of others were saying that it just could not happen.
    You really are a Cyberdimwit aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    I predicted the credit crunch five years ago. I didn't need an economics qualification for that.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I have qualifications in economics and I would say it has been useful in my analysing where the current government have been going wrong. Understanding the principles of supply and demand is a good start.

I think I was one of the few that predicted a housing crash just over a year ago, while the vast majority of others were saying that it just could not happen.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    There are now more pupils taking A-levels in media studies, expressive arts and PE than economics
    Supply and demand innit.
    Made a rod for your own back there didn't you, Economics?

PS "expressive arts" as opposed to what sort of arts exactly?

PPS minuscule

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Has there ever been a useful economist? Their theories seem to have caused more pain than good.If they were any use our economies would be a lot more stable. So in this case it's not a bad thing if that pseudo-science slowly dies out.
    I studied some Economics at University and I am happy to be very vocal in describing it as speculation and conjecture masquarading as a science.

But, I do think that it is useful for describing what has happened in the past, and that is information that can be learned from.

What it is absolutely no good for, is predicting the future.

I had the same conversation with a bloke I went to school with when he as starting his Masters in Economics.

He said, if you want to know how the economy is going to do in the future, and you have a choice of asking an Economist or a Witch Doctor, there is a miniscule chance that the Witch Doctor might be right. The Economist will be wrong.

Whilst I agree with that, he is now a director of an investment bank in the bahamas, so it looks like he has done alright out of it.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by sappatz View Post
    maybe they are correct, the country itself has been managed in lets say... an artistic way by the British government.
    But don't worry, Gordo is listening to your concerns.

Leave a comment:

• sappatz
    replied
    govt

There are now more pupils taking A-levels in media studies, expressive arts and PE than economics

maybe they are correct, the country itself has been managed in lets say... an artistic way by the British government.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X