• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has Fiddle Flounced?"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Having to wait about 2 mins on Vodaphone GSP (at cost of about £1.50 I think) for a page to appear, I have totally forgotten what this thread is about and what I meant to say. Can someone refresh my memory? I will respond in a week or two.

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by WageSlave
    But are they young, firm thighed, eager, bushy tailed and possessed of a trusting glint in the eye?
    This belongs in the squirrel thread

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren@1stAccountancyServ
    We get some superb CV's in every year from ex-students with degrees that are EXTREMELY relevant to accounting! Can't see how studying child psychology for 3 years would help calculate someone's tax liability!!
    But are they young, firm thighed, eager, bushy tailed and possessed of a trusting glint in the eye?

Leave a comment:

• Darren@UptonAccountants
    replied
    Students

Originally posted by Churchill
    Ah.... so the students are taking easier subjects... Feck me, that's brilliant!
    We get some superb CV's in every year from ex-students with degrees that are EXTREMELY relevant to accounting! Can't see how studying child psychology for 3 years would help calculate someone's tax liability!!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964
    From the latest Private Eye:

50% - Drop in students taking A levels in French or German in the past decade

500% - Increase in students taking media studies A level in the past decade

84.2% - Pass rate in 1995

97% - Predicted pass rate in 2005

Ah.... so the students are taking easier subjects... Feck me, that's brilliant!

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    From the latest Private Eye:

50% - Drop in students taking A levels in French or German in the past decade

500% - Increase in students taking media studies A level in the past decade

84.2% - Pass rate in 1995

97% - Predicted pass rate in 2005

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Comparison are difficult because the course have changed so much (particularly since the New Lie came into power).

But up to 1982 the results were adjusted statistically.

About 10% were awarded an A grade.

Now it's over 22%.

No one in my A level year achieved 3 As.

In fact the only person I know who got 3 As was my sister in 1975.

The swot.
    What's more the exams themselves now count for only a tiny percentage of the total. So a diligent plodder with references to hand could easily, in fact almost certainly would, get an A, and from the results today there's practically no way of distinguishing students who can accurately remember and apply their knowledge in a timely manner.

Leave a comment:

• Darren@UptonAccountants
    replied
    Exams

Originally posted by WageSlave
    ...ahem...standards were extremely high in the 90s...honestly...
    Disagree, they peaked in the mid 80's!!

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    And now they come in packets of cornflakes.
    ...ahem...standards were extremely high in the 90s...honestly...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Comparison are difficult because the course have changed so much (particularly since the New Lie came into power).
    Yeah ZG especially the physics papers since the discovery of electricity!!!

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I read yesterday that the 'E' I got for one of my A-levels back in the old days is the equivalent of a 'B' today. Of course, I immediately updated my CV to reflect the new reality. I wonder when my new result certificate will be issued?

Leave a comment:

• Miserable old man
    replied
    Eye's got too A levles, but they's proper, leik in 1972.

Standards had fallen by then, things started to go down hill in August 1954

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I've got fore A-levels incase anyones interested.

Leave a comment:

• planetit
    replied
    We Giant Alien Lizards are reknowned for it...
    Renowned- you damned Giant Alien retard! How many 'A' Levels have you got then?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Unfortunately the trolls we've since gained don't really make up for it.
    That was rather cold blooded...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X