• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "World of Warcraft - addiction?"

Collapse

• Jaws
    replied
    I tried it once but found it a bit tulipe compared to other games so didn't bother with it beyond about 2 days, the combat didn't really do it for me - not sure why but I far preferred the system in guild wars which is essentially very similar.

Used to play mmorpgs quite a bit but now generally I find it hard to justify spending the time to sit down and play even a single player game.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Strange I can live with :-) She's in the next room :-)

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    gee thanks Big Yin !
    Only kidding You seem like a nice bloke to me, if a little strange.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    gee thanks Big Yin !

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    Same here. Dip in every now and then.
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    You never levelled your own character though. Tsk, tsk.

Xeno in 'disapproving' mode
    WHS, not played it for 2months now, can't afford to lose that much time right now

Chef

aka Wiglaf lvl 43 Night Elf Hunter
    aka Weohstan lvl 11 Human Rogue

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    Damn you BGG you ruin my fun by being nice!!!

You are just to nice
    Well they say people change their persona online, BGG is probably just a benevolant kindly old sage in WoW to cover up the fact he's a twisted cruel old bamstick in real life

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    You are just to nice
    The world is full of nasty people. We all have a choice to join them or forge our own way.

Well, that's my view, YMMV, and that, of course, is your prerogative.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    That's uncalled for.

Many new players to a game take a while to orientate themselves to the gameworld.

That's no excuse to disparage their efforts.

Damn you BGG you ruin my fun by being nice!!!

You are just to nice

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Excellent, the low IQ filters are working then.
    That's uncalled for.

Many new players to a game take a while to orientate themselves to the gameworld.

That's no excuse to disparage their efforts.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
    oh dear.....

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    I played once, but couldnt find my way out of the beginning village so gave up......

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I played once, but couldnt find my way out of the beginning village so gave up......

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    It's a game, and like anything enjoyable, there are levels of addiction, from simple dip in, dip out enjoyment, to all consuming passion.

I play, and up until recently, me and Mrs BGG played constantly every spare moment for the last 2 years.

We also ran a guild, so most of my playtime was infact administration, resolving disputes, providing leadership, goals and objectives, and running the lotteries, etc.

I've taken a back seat recently and perhaps only logged on once in the last month, and a good friend of mine is now Guild Master. I feel I've done my "bit" for the guild, and my friend has taken the guild to new heights within the game.

WOW has lost the edge for me. I've explored everything I can explore, and to be honest, I seek new challenges, hence I'm waiting for Warhammer Online to hit the shelves.

Our WOW guild already has a good number of people wanting to play, so we're in the process of redesigning our website, to incorporate WAR as well.

In that sense, we are now about to grow again in to a full gaming Clan, who play multiple games, and that was always the intention.

Once you make good friends online in any MMORPG, they are worth their weight in gold, and sometimes, the game we play is not as important as the social side, with your mates, having a beer or two on teamspeak and enjoying teamwork.

We've got our Year 2 guildmeets coming up in London, Amsterdam and Sweden (The London one is funnily enough the day after the CUK Meet, so I may just get a room Friday and Saturday)

As for addiction ? That depends on whether the habit is harmful to the person or those they love.

I'm lucky in that Mrs BGG plays as much as I do, so it's never an issue between us. I could see it being a problem for some couples, who share no common interests however.

We used to play a lot at the weekends as well, but recently, our old social roleplaying and boardgaming group has restarted, and also we've recently increased our circle of friends and as such, we're spending most weekends visting them. Which is nice, as it makes a change to get out now and then.
    Frak me.... a simple yes or no would have done!

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Aye, that was kind of spooky, if you believe in that sort of stuff.
    I remember once doing those Zener cards ESP tests, and I got 2 out of 25. The guy was ecstatic, because getting so low (chance says 20% = 5 right) was a "sure sign of ESP ability". Not sure what use guessing more wrong than normal people ability is. I won't be featuring on Season 3 of Heroes, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Coo, maybe I'm psycho. I mean psychic.
    Aye, that was kind of spooky, if you believe in that sort of stuff.

I was interested in some of it a while back, and still meddle from time to time (as an itinerant student of performance magic).

I once did a psychometry reading for a stranger I met at a party.

Took his watch, held it for a while, and I became somewhat mesmerised by the reflection of a light upon the glass of the watch which bounced on to the ceiling. As I studied the pattern, it reminded me of waves, and I felt very sad.

I handed the watch back to the chap, and said "This watch has a sad, powerful connection with a loved one and water".

The guy broke down in tears. His grandfather had drowned, and in his will, he left the nephew the watch.

It was a very uncomfortable moment for both of us, and I wasn't practicing any Derren Brown like techniques (I didn't even know them at that time).

All I do know, is that I felt "something" when I held that watch and the pattern on the wall transfixed me for a minute or so.

I don't believe in such stuff personally, but I really cannot explain it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest however. I know it might spook some people out. I'm too busy to explore it any further.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X