• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

World of Warcraft - addiction?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a game, and like anything enjoyable, there are levels of addiction, from simple dip in, dip out enjoyment, to all consuming passion.

I play, and up until recently, me and Mrs BGG played constantly every spare moment for the last 2 years.

We also ran a guild, so most of my playtime was infact administration, resolving disputes, providing leadership, goals and objectives, and running the lotteries, etc.

I've taken a back seat recently and perhaps only logged on once in the last month, and a good friend of mine is now Guild Master. I feel I've done my "bit" for the guild, and my friend has taken the guild to new heights within the game.

WOW has lost the edge for me. I've explored everything I can explore, and to be honest, I seek new challenges, hence I'm waiting for Warhammer Online to hit the shelves.

Our WOW guild already has a good number of people wanting to play, so we're in the process of redesigning our website, to incorporate WAR as well.

In that sense, we are now about to grow again in to a full gaming Clan, who play multiple games, and that was always the intention.

Once you make good friends online in any MMORPG, they are worth their weight in gold, and sometimes, the game we play is not as important as the social side, with your mates, having a beer or two on teamspeak and enjoying teamwork.

We've got our Year 2 guildmeets coming up in London, Amsterdam and Sweden (The London one is funnily enough the day after the CUK Meet, so I may just get a room Friday and Saturday)

As for addiction ? That depends on whether the habit is harmful to the person or those they love.

I'm lucky in that Mrs BGG plays as much as I do, so it's never an issue between us. I could see it being a problem for some couples, who share no common interests however.

We used to play a lot at the weekends as well, but recently, our old social roleplaying and boardgaming group has restarted, and also we've recently increased our circle of friends and as such, we're spending most weekends visting them. Which is nice, as it makes a change to get out now and then.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      It's a game, and like anything enjoyable, there are levels of addiction, from simple dip in, dip out enjoyment, to all consuming passion.

I play, and up until recently, me and Mrs BGG played constantly every spare moment for the last 2 years.

We also ran a guild, so most of my playtime was infact administration, resolving disputes, providing leadership, goals and objectives, and running the lotteries, etc.

I've taken a back seat recently and perhaps only logged on once in the last month, and a good friend of mine is now Guild Master. I feel I've done my "bit" for the guild, and my friend has taken the guild to new heights within the game.

WOW has lost the edge for me. I've explored everything I can explore, and to be honest, I seek new challenges, hence I'm waiting for Warhammer Online to hit the shelves.

Our WOW guild already has a good number of people wanting to play, so we're in the process of redesigning our website, to incorporate WAR as well.

In that sense, we are now about to grow again in to a full gaming Clan, who play multiple games, and that was always the intention.

Once you make good friends online in any MMORPG, they are worth their weight in gold, and sometimes, the game we play is not as important as the social side, with your mates, having a beer or two on teamspeak and enjoying teamwork.

We've got our Year 2 guildmeets coming up in London, Amsterdam and Sweden (The London one is funnily enough the day after the CUK Meet, so I may just get a room Friday and Saturday)

As for addiction ? That depends on whether the habit is harmful to the person or those they love.

I'm lucky in that Mrs BGG plays as much as I do, so it's never an issue between us. I could see it being a problem for some couples, who share no common interests however.

We used to play a lot at the weekends as well, but recently, our old social roleplaying and boardgaming group has restarted, and also we've recently increased our circle of friends and as such, we're spending most weekends visting them. Which is nice, as it makes a change to get out now and then.
      Where did you meet Mrs. BGG?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
        Is Mrs BGG even real?
        That boy go raaaaaaa
        Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
          Under a tree, 40 paces from the village, near a stream.
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Took a break from WoW a while back but started up again recently. I have to be very carefull to ration the time I spend on it or nothing else gets done!
            Same here. Dip in every now and then.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Hmm after reading some of the posts here I don't think I actually have a problem, in comparison.

It's a really great game, but it's one of those games where to do anything 'good' requires so much time and effort, and it's a constant carrot on a stick, the concept from a business perspective is a good one, but it makes me wonder what kind of bigger impact it's having on peoples real lifes. I think that's why I love the game, but also hate it at the same time if that can make sense.
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

My plan B is to become a WoW admin. They had an article on it a while back, in a PC mag.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                  Hmm after reading some of the posts here I don't think I actually have a problem, in comparison.

It's a really great game, but it's one of those games where to do anything 'good' requires so much time and effort, and it's a constant carrot on a stick, the concept from a business perspective is a good one, but it makes me wonder what kind of bigger impact it's having on peoples real lifes. I think that's why I love the game, but also hate it at the same time if that can make sense.
                  You never levelled your own character though. Tsk, tsk.

Xeno in 'disapproving' mode
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I have stopped playing now I'm not on the bench. I've also stopped my subscription as it's a waste of money now I've got other things to do.

Bronzebeard - Halladaar - Level 55 - all my own work.
                    Last edited by Moscow Mule; 9 July 2008, 15:03. Reason: Sig
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Well I did an undead warrior from 1 - 44, then someone I knew handed me a full epic warlock with flying mount, etc.. such power in the hands of a NOOB! Lol...
                      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Working...
                      X