• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dinner Party Menu Suggestions?"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Bear View Post
    Yep - i love it

It's very good for breakfast too
    Makes brilliant sandwiches Mmmmmm!

So do cold faggots by the way

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Tell 'er indoors to get on with it.

Next.
    whs

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    Hey, don't diss the haggis. Surely everyone has the ocassional hankering for sheeps offal, barley and oats, stuffed into a stomache and boiled until it turns grey?
    Yep - i love it

It's very good for breakfast too

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Pine nuts?

Real contractors only eat egg n' chips from the local greasy spoon.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Tell 'er indoors to get on with it.

Next.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Solent, EqualO, thanks to you also for some excellent suggestions.
    Buy a cookbook?

Also a good suggestion

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Solent, EqualO, thanks to you also for some excellent suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Solent
    replied
    I would go with medium rare Duck breast, mango segments and a rocket salad.

Monkfish tails on a colcannon mash, and a dark soy sauce

A light dessert of chocolate totre

And... the best bl**dy chees board money can buy washed down with loads of port.

Sounding like Keith Flloyd (as he you to say I like cooking with red wine and occasionally I put in my meals). B*gger how old to I sound, Solent you need to get out more

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I can't believe no ones mentioned pot noodles yet.

How very strange

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    jellied eels
    Works for me

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
    This is horrific. Thank flip we're having kebabs on the CUK night out...
    jellied eels

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    This is horrific. Thank flip we're having kebabs on the CUK night out...

Depends what you want to do, really, and how adventurous your guests are - here are some ideas for ideal dinner party food for those who want to spend time being the host, not the chef (unlike me who fecks about in the kitchen all night and someone else has to do the hosting):

1. Carpaccio of beef (or, if you're that way inclined, red stag)

This can be either traditional, or seared - ridiculously, cajun spice works particularly well with beef, but venison lends itself more to soy, sesame, five spice, ginger, garlic, etc, etc)

If searing, do so at an unimaginably high heat - being careful to 'blacken' but not burn the crust. Chill, then partially freeze - makes it easier to cut v. thin.

Serve with a peppery leaf, such as rocket and watercress, a few capers, some pomegranite seeds for colour and a dribble of galangal infused, good quality, olive oil.

2. Pan-fried fillet of lamb - seasoned well, rattled 'round in a hot pan then 4-6 minutes in a hot oven.

Slice on the piss, and serve it on a lovely champ potato.

The roasted vegetables idea is a great one - and some finely chopped brussels sprouts cooked with smoked streaky bacon, cream and garlic would complement it beautifully.

A little clarified butter, with fresh chopped herbs (easy on the tarragon) stirred through, would be wonderful spooned over the lamb.

3. Ideally, a light, sharp, fruit-based third course would ensue. Or at least something served with something sharp. What about an absolute classic? Creme brulee. Fantastic and easy. Serve it with a scoop of raspberry sorbet and a couple of amaretti biscuits.

Amen.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Fook that. The best parties are 70's style ones.

Take one large glass bowl stir in 3 to 4 car keys and serve.
    My car has three keys

I like those odds

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Wine
    Food
    More Wine
    That is indeed the overall plan

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    Hey, don't diss the haggis. Surely everyone has the ocassional hankering for sheeps offal, barley and oats, stuffed into a stomache and boiled until it turns grey?
    Maybe. But stop calling BigYinJames a haggis.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X