• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would you buy a flying car from this man?"

Collapse

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    One touch keyword input: yes, quite a clever idea, although utimately restricting the platform by tying it to one programming language.

Micro drives: there had been similar small tape drives before; he managed to bring the cost of manufacture down, but at the expense of reliability. Anybody can make something cheaper that isn't as good.

Sinclair BASIC: merely an implementation of an established programming language, so hardly an invention.

Platypus's question still stands - it means "What did he invent to create the Spectrum?" and is rhetorical in nature, in that there was nothing innovative about the Spectrum (as you say, one-touch BASIC keyword entry came with the ZX-80, not the Speccy) other than the price point achieved by effective use of modern manufacturing techniques, off-the-shelf components, and a custom ULA (which wasn't innovative by the standards of the day). It was an effective manufacturing strategy, but that's not the same thing as an invention.
    Do shut up.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    I think Sir Clive was a hero to a generation of kids who could never afford a 'real' computer in the early 80s. As you say, his was a manufacturing and marketing genius, rather than an inventer of tech. And in an era when british inventions were starting to become few and far between, he was the last of a British breed.

Sure, the Speccy wasn't great, but i think he still deserves a lot of respect and kudos. And since I was a C64 kid, that takes a lot of saying.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    What did he invent to create the Spectrum?

As I recall, it used standard components although he did put them together very cheaply to make a functional machine, but it's not like it was the first microcomputer.
    One touch key system for the ZX80, micro drives for the QL, Sinclair BASIC etc. etc. etc.

What does your question even mean?...
    One touch keyword input: yes, quite a clever idea, although utimately restricting the platform by tying it to one programming language.

Micro drives: there had been similar small tape drives before; he managed to bring the cost of manufacture down, but at the expense of reliability. Anybody can make something cheaper that isn't as good.

Sinclair BASIC: merely an implementation of an established programming language, so hardly an invention.

Platypus's question still stands - it means "What did he invent to create the Spectrum?" and is rhetorical in nature, in that there was nothing innovative about the Spectrum (as you say, one-touch BASIC keyword entry came with the ZX-80, not the Speccy) other than the price point achieved by effective use of modern manufacturing techniques, off-the-shelf components, and a custom ULA (which wasn't innovative by the standards of the day). It was an effective manufacturing strategy, but that's not the same thing as an invention.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post

As I recall, it used standard components although he did put them together very cheaply to make a functional machine, but it's not like it was the first microcomputer.
    One touch key system for the ZX80, micro drives for the QL, Sinclair BASIC etc. etc. etc.

What does your question even mean?...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    The Spectrum was his company's best invention

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    He's an Inventor, stop being constricted by what's already been invented. Anyone with any common sense would know he's invented an anti gravity propulsion system.
    **** off,

Seriously

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    He's an Inventor, stop being constricted by what's already been invented. Anyone with any common sense would know he's invented an anti gravity propulsion system.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    At least if you use petrol the aircraft gets lighter whilst using the fuel... With batteries you'd be carrying the dead weight...
    Plus petrol has at least 10 times the energy density of batteries, i.e. much lighter.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Strangley enough he's provided no details on how this might work. He might want to think smaller and start with a fuel powered craft first. "Petrol not reliable enough...would have to manoeuvre itself" This is a big step up from powering a tricycle with a washing machine motor.

I just did a quick calculation and if a 200Kg (mass of man + machine) were powered by a 1m fan, rather than wings, the batteries would need to put out 22KW (22 electric fire bars) to hover.
    At least if you use petrol the aircraft gets lighter whilst using the fuel... With batteries you'd be carrying the dead weight...

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Poor old Clive, I think he's running out of steam in his old age and trying to create some PR buzz with wacky idea's.

The Spectrum was his company's best invention, shame they sold the brand/technology to Alan Michael Sugar Trading (Amstrad).

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Strangley enough he's provided no details on how this might work. He might want to think smaller and start with a fuel powered craft first. "Petrol not reliable enough...would have to manoeuvre itself" This is a big step up from powering a tricycle with a washing machine motor.

I just did a quick calculation and if a 200Kg (mass of man + machine) were powered by a 1m fan, rather than wings, the batteries would need to put out 22KW (22 electric fire bars) to hover.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Uncle Clive's latest wizard wheeze...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7481940.stm

Anyone who invents an umberella strong enough to stop the user being crushed to death by a falling flying machine plus their "pilot" and/or passenger should make millions......

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Catt

I met him while in Fathes 4 Justice - he made various claims about Clive Sinclair.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    started a topic Would you buy a flying car from this man?

Would you buy a flying car from this man?

Uncle Clive's latest wizard wheeze...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7481940.stm

Working...
X