• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working with other nationalities"

Collapse

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I am the very model of a modern major-general.
    The news you brought us about the binomial theorem and the facts about the square on the hypotenuse really cheered me up. However, have you found out what is meant by “commissariat” yet?

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Southern Italians work hard too, stop being so prejudicial.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    A pity that 70% of the people in the north come from the south. I think hard working is a general characteristic of italian people. Sure if I was living in Calabria and there was no work whatsoever I would enjoy being lazy too under. After all the ability to enjoy yourself with what you have is another great characteristic of italians.
    and New Zealanders apparently

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    There are in fact 3 : North Italy (Milan/Turin), Middle Italy (Rome etc) and South Italy (Naples/Sicily).
    The 1st one is like the best of Northern Europe (Germany) in productivity and performance, the 2nd a bit like Greece and the 3rd a bit like North Africa.
    So Francko is right wrt to Northern Italy (La Liga country).
    A pity that 70% of the people in the north come from the south. I think hard working is a general characteristic of italian people. Sure if I was living in Calabria and there was no work whatsoever I would enjoy being lazy too under. After all the ability to enjoy yourself with what you have is another great characteristic of italians.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Slight overstatement.

There are two camps of Brits:
    - The over aftershaved barrow boys who think they're god's gift to mankind but fail to do anything of note
    - The genuinely hardworking and compentent ones that work hard, play hard but never get the recognition they deserve
    Oversimplified.

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Useless

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    No mention of Nigerians, so I'll poke my head above the parapet and say that they're a bunch of bullsh**ters who learn IT from a "Blagging IT for Dummies" book and then wing it on the job and keep their jobs because they work for pennies.
    Don't get me started - only good for scams, nothing else.
    Useless f c uk wits.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Brits - Great.
    Slight overstatement.

There are two camps of Brits:
    - The over aftershaved barrow boys who think they're god's gift to mankind but fail to do anything of note
    - The genuinely hardworking and compentent ones that work hard, play hard but never get the recognition they deserve

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    No mention of Nigerians, so I'll poke my head above the parapet and say that they're a bunch of bullsh**ters who learn IT from a "Blagging IT for Dummies" book and then wing it on the job and keep their jobs because they work for pennies.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Brits - Great at Yakking,
    Brits - Great.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Brits - Great at Yakking, terrible at delivering
    case in point - terminal 5 @ heathrow
    Yes, the cult of personality (which is really an instance of the cult of celebrity) has taken hold. But usually the emperor has no clothes.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by BankingContractor View Post
    And what about us Brits - how would you generalise our behaviour?
    Brits - Great at Yakking, terrible at delivering
    case in point - terminal 5 @ heathrow

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by BankingContractor View Post
    I am the very model of a modern major-general.

Leave a comment:

• BankingContractor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tay's PA
    replied
    I work for a Kiwi. He has large chips on both shoulders.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    My experience is that the calibre of the people working at the highest paying jobs in the area are higher than average.

One of the pharma companies here had a policy of paying higher than the average market rate. The people I worked with were fantastic. The policy changed, the people who could leave left left because they could get more elsewhere. OTOH, management had an easier time, because the muppets left behind were easier to bully.
    Yes it's the money that does it. Although I have met some real muppets in the City with rich and/or influential parents.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X