• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: accommodation

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "accommodation"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    You got taxed on your pole? Is that a benefit in kind, I thought you could use it as a business expense?
    I needed a parking permit, and to get one of them of the council I had to...forget the details...the end result was that I had to pay council tax at home and in the city I contracted. Both councils wanted the full poll tax amount though! But eventually I ended up just paying the full amount in the most expensive part, and a lesser percentage in the cheaper. Could have been good had it worked the other way around. I've also stayed at places where landlords insist on proof of paying council taxes, and that may even be the norm now.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    A night! I used to rent bedsits for less than that a week. Self contained, cheap no hassle. Had to pay a bit of extra pole tax though.
    You got taxed on your pole? Is that a benefit in kind, I thought you could use it as a business expense?

On topic I don't like hotels for long periods (over a month) so I usually head onto the house share sites. I found a great one on my last gig, £60 a week all in, great bedroom with en-suite and the run of the rest of a large victorian house in a very nice bit of Lytham.

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    you could get lucky and get a mon-fri rent deal

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    I'm not one for hotels either but would hate the idea of sharing with someone. I try and go for the self catering option, caravan, holiday home or something similar.

On my last gig I found some self catering, converted stables. Breakfast was included by way of a loaf of bread, milk, cereals, yoghurts and fruit being left daily. Microwave, toaster, power shower and free cabled broadband were all good additions too. This was £56 a night which I thought was good value.
    A night! I used to rent bedsits for less than that a week. Self contained, cheap no hassle. Had to pay a bit of extra pole tax though.

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    It's his perogative as long as you get your notice. If you have your own place I wouldn't get involved in running another one.
    I know what u mean, it's easier just to pay someone an all-inclusive rent and be done with it

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    I've done easyroommate last few times, agree about flexibility

but now I've discovered my flatshare landlord has put the flat on the market for a month and never told me about this, I think that's a bit underhand don't you?

It's his perogative as long as you get your notice. If you have your own place I wouldn't get involved in running another one.

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    If it's just mon-thursday then Easyroommate, find a single person under 30 and in my experience they will hardly ever be in the flat. It's cheap and it's much easier to get out of than a 6 months rent. Flexibility is the key to contracting. Can't think of anything worse than to be tied into 6 month lets, paying all the bills and taking the hit on the deposit.
    I've done easyroommate last few times, agree about flexibility

but now I've discovered my flatshare landlord has put the flat on the market for a month and never told me about this, I think that's a bit underhand don't you?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    If it's just mon-thursday then Easyroommate, find a single person under 30 and in my experience they will hardly ever be in the flat. It's cheap and it's much easier to get out of than a 6 months rent. Flexibility is the key to contracting. Can't think of anything worse than to be tied into 6 month lets, paying all the bills and taking the hit on the deposit.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    I'm not one for hotels either but would hate the idea of sharing with someone. I try and go for the self catering option, caravan, holiday home or something similar.

On my last gig I found some self catering, converted stables. Breakfast was included by way of a loaf of bread, milk, cereals, yoghurts and fruit being left daily. Microwave, toaster, power shower and free cabled broadband were all good additions too. This was £56 a night which I thought was good value.

Leave a comment:

• Likely
    replied
    Contractor , I've been renting several places now moving to where the contract is. Do you have a primary home ? If not you cannot claim renting expenses.

The issue i find is that I keep losing the renting deposits. Because I don't have home i will rent a place until I find the next gig. Next gigs always start ASAP hence I move out losing my deposit. On average it is a 400 loss per move.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Read this.

Makes sense to me - YMMV.

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Why would you want to buy a flat near your 3 month contract? Assuming you change contracts every 9 months say (couple of extensions before budget runs out and you need a new gig) you are either limiting yourself to the local area, or you need to sell and buy another.

Stamp duty and solicitor fees will eat up any increase in value on the property, and if you get stuck with negative equity you have problems...
    makes sense
    and property is just so expensive now it's hard to find a cheap flat anywhere
    then with flats you have £100/month service charge, council tax £100-120/month, bills £100-150?/month on top of mortgage

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I agree, hotel living is not nice and expensive for what it is, sometimes uncertainty that the rooms will be available in the busy periods.

But would you say renting is the way to go and that buying a flat is too much of a risk? Especially at today's prices and falling market. Most contractors I know have a property investment at home then just rent or hotel at site.
    I agrees with Ardesco.

I nearly considered buying whilst on a 12 month gig a few years back. Then it was only 6 month contract to start with and the market was booming. The wife and I viewed a couple of places but in the end the costs (financial and stress) were just too great.

Make your money from your skills, what your good at, property investment right now is only for the bullish / long term who can afford to lose before things improve.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I agree, hotel living is not nice and expensive for what it is, sometimes uncertainty that the rooms will be available in the busy periods.

But would you say renting is the way to go and that buying a flat is too much of a risk? Especially at today's prices and falling market. Most contractors I know have a property investment at home then just rent or hotel at site.
    Why would you want to buy a flat near your 3 month contract? Assuming you change contracts every 9 months say (couple of extensions before budget runs out and you need a new gig) you are either limiting yourself to the local area, or you need to sell and buy another.

Stamp duty and solicitor fees will eat up any increase in value on the property, and if you get stuck with negative equity you have problems...

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'd always rent a flat. I used to flat share in the early days and like yourself became disgruntled with that way of living for similar reasons.

Yes renting is expensive particularly through estate agents however if your skills are in demand then I think you should factor those costs into your rate.

For the past 3 years I've rented spending a max of £1300 a month on accommodation, however as this was factored into my rate the client was happy to pay and my experience of the whole contract was a lot more satisfying as a result. Hotels are no way to live especially if the contract is going into months and months.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X