• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lack of cut and paste"

Collapse

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    ....not necessarily. For example a Ukrainian might apply for German citizenship due to having the right of abode in Germany because, for example, of German ancestory but with the express intention of going to live in France or Switzerland.

It still doesnt matter, in his own mind he is not a settler in Germany.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ....not necessarily. For example a Ukrainian might apply for German citizenship due to having the right of abode in Germany because, for example, of German ancestory but with the express intention of going to live in France or Switzerland.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    ...yes but what about those people that apply for citizenship get it and then move to another country...

That is still moot. They would have been earnest in their request and commitment at the time.

Now tell us the one about the shower of sh1t over cheshire!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ...yes but what about those people that apply for citizenship get it and then move to another country...

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    [QUOTE=BlasterBates]..well actually you'll find a lot of people (Brits) who have been there for 20 30 years and say the same thing. In fact they'll probably never leave, then there's an awful lot that don't know.

So defining someone as a "Settler" requires Quantum Mechanics as there is only a possibility or probability that they might leave. So we don't know someone is a settler until he/she dies.

...and what do we classify a 90 year old that goes to Germany for the rest of his life and then dies on the plane./QUOTE]
    It is easy to see in some cases, asking for citizenship would be a strong indicator.
    That is all moot and diverts the argument. The individual in question knows what s/he is and acts appropriately. I bet the longer they stay there (where is here BTW) the more localised they get.

Even as settlers I bet there have been very few cases of Brits demanding local law be changed to suit them. Unless they have become legal "citizens" there should be no consideration of changing the law for them.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    ...and what do we classify a 90 year old that goes to Germany for the rest of his life and then dies on the plane.

Dead Old Goat Choker!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ..well actually you'll find a lot of people (Brits) who have been there for 20 30 years and say the same thing. In fact they'll probably never leave, then there's an awful lot that don't know.

So defining someone as a "Settler" requires Quantum Mechanics as there is only a possibility or probability that they might leave. So we don't know someone is a settler until he/she dies.

...and what do we classify a 90 year old that goes to Germany for the rest of his life and then dies on the plane.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    ...huh

What is the difference between "settling" and "living" abroad.
    I live and work in Germany, though I have no intention of staying here the rest of my life. Should I do so then I would say that I have settled here.

Is that so difficult to understand?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ...huh

What is the difference between "settling" and "living" abroad.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    But just as a by-the-by, there seems to programme after programme on buying houses, there's even a documentary about an Estate Agent

I mean who the **** is interested in an Estate Agent...

Do people actually watch that stuff in the UK ?????
    I draw your attention to today's BBC1 daytime schedule:

09:15. To Buy Or Not To Buy. Dominic Littlewood and Melissa Porter come to the aid of an interior designer looking for a dream home with a healthy budget of £500k.
    10:00. Homes Under The Hammer. Up for auction: a tip of a four bedroom Edwardian villa in north London; a bit of a burnt out wreck in the Wirral; and a one bed house in Country Durham.
    11:00. Mind Your Own Business. Mrs S and Duncan Bannatyne reel in a fish and chip shop that's struggling to net new custom. Will their expertise turn a small fry enterprise into a tasty little turnover?
    11:30. Car Booty. The Rudge family try to raise as much cash as possible to give 78-year-old grandmother Teresa the new home she deserves.
    12:15. Bargain Hunt. Tim Wonnacott introduces two teams of mothers and daughters at Kedleston Fair. Which team will make a profit on their goods at auction? And which expert gave the best advice!
    14:05. Cash In The Attic. Pauline Robinson's home is so stacked with stuff she can hardly move. Persuaded by the prospect of a shiny new £1,000 fridge, she lets in the Cash in the Attic team.

Anyone who says the BBC are flooding the schedules with home improvement shows clearly has no idea. There is a gap in the middle of the day for Neighbours and then at mid-afternoon for Diagnosis Murder.

So saying, the one about running a chippy looks mildly interesting as it might make a nice post-contractor plan b.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise
    Funny though how about 95% of the British living abroad don't adopt the local values and traditions, if anything they become MORE British.

Till i see the British doing what they preach in regards to this they will remain little more than hipocrites to me.
    There is a difference between living abroad and settling abroad. Most Brits only live abroad. They bring their ways with them, but usualy respect local law and custom.
    All the Brits I have met who have settled abroad have done their best to fit into the society in which they live, though my experience is limited.
    Of course they are still British, but where there is a conflict in British tradition and local then they normally bow to local.
    It has been my experience that MOST settlers in the UK do exactly the same thing and enrich the UK society by so doing.
    It is the settlers who will not accept local traditions and local laws who are undermining multicultural societies. Many of these settle in local communities which are microcosms of the Country they left they become no go areas to anyone else. The question has to be asked, if it was so good there why did they move elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    I notice the leather patched jacket types at the BBC have spent most of this week flapping and churning out these stories as though their whole idealogy was collapsing right in front of their eyes.
    Yup, on BBC Breakfast News this morning some mealy-mouthed weasel called Adam (didn't catch his surname) was expounding on what "we" in the country believe.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ...of course we don't pay, well the cable company pays for one licence then feeds it round millions of households for free.

Leave a comment:

• wc2
    replied
    Do you pay a licence for BBC prime ?

(basically old junk shipped abroad for johnny foreigner). - Same as BBC1 but for UK bods

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ...yeah there's lots of "cringe" TV about Brits settling abroad (and staying British really), maybe this is old stuff coz I watch BBC-Prime in Switzerland (basically old junk shipped abroad for johnny foreigner).

But just as a by-the-by, there seems to programme after programme on buying houses, there's even a documentary about an Estate Agent

I mean who the **** is interested in an Estate Agent...

Do people actually watch that stuff in the UK ?????

Leave a comment:

Working...
X