• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "well done andy murray"

Collapse

• El_Diablo
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    hmm. Nadal seems a different class
    hmm. Nadal IS a different class

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Oh dear! 3-6 2-6 4-6.
    hmm. Nadal seems a different class

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Is this an attempt to make tennis sound interesting? Commentary from the BBC website;

'Murray's gasping for air like a deep-sea diver whose tanks have run dry. Nadal smashes a forehand cross-court with such ferocity that people grab the person next to them in knock-kneed terror. Murray batters a two-handed backhand drive two inches wide to ship another break point and then wafts with exhaustion at another. The ball falls into the net and that, you would fear, could be goodnight Charlie.'

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Oh dear! 3-6 2-6 4-6.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    He should win a game or 2.

Come on Andy!..... it's all he's worth!

Leave a comment:

• El_Diablo
    replied
    Well done? Eh? He hasn't done anything yet.

IF he beats Rafa then he's done well.

But he won't, he's just not good enough. IF he does then I'll rate him otherwise nah.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7485688.stm

Interesting set of predictions from punters on how Murray will do.
    The only Scot asked said he'd be gubbed 3-0

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Broadly speaking I agree with that. However, as I have my reputation as a cantankerous grumpy contentious malcontented dour Jock to protect, I shall exit this thread and take myself elsewhere for mischief!!
    Don't go all lightweight on me now, not once you have got me all worked up again.
    We all have our favourite parts.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    I see this as more both sides at fault, not just hatred of all things English, as has been demonstrated on here many times.
    You may have a point. As an Englishman I dont see the traffic in the other direction.
    I have traveled around Europe quite a lot and you tend to end up drinking in Irish bars especialy if you dont speak the local lingo.
    Watching the 6 nations, Euro (year) football and any world cups is quite an eye opener and was positively life threatening on one occasion.
    It is obviously harmless banter in many cases, but it is overt racism in others.
    The only time I have seen Englishmen supporting the opposition to a home nation has been when the result impacts on a later England game. Though I have seen (in fact been involved with) a few of the afore mentioned piss takes, particularly of a certain Irish bar owner in Brussels who like to wind the English up.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I am a firm believer that we are a stronger nation as a Union, but we should embrace and celebrate the individual nations too.
    Broadly speaking I agree with that. However, as I have my reputation as a cantankerous grumpy contentious malcontented dour Jock to protect, I shall exit this thread and take myself elsewhere for mischief!!

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    I was always British in my youth and fully supported the home nations teams and individuals (unless an Englishman was involved). In more recent years I have become increasingly aware of a more nationalistic attitude amongst the other home nations. This is no bad thing but it seems to have been accompanied with an increasing hatred of all things English.
    Unfortunately this is true. I think it's the flipside of any nationalistic feeling, which is a sense of superiority, that you start to look down on other nations as part of it. Scotland in particular has a large chip on its shoudler about its more powerful neighbour, so it tends to get the brunt of it.

As a kid, like you, I was always British first, and I still feel that way. If I'd lived there at the time, I'd have voted against devolution, and I am not in favour of breaking up the union. Not only is it a crazy idea in thie modern worl, I think both England and Scotland would suffer economically for it. But Scotland worse.

Still, I don't live there any more, my kids are English, if they want to go down that route, then on their own heads be it.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    This is no bad thing but it seems to have been accompanied with an increasing hatred of all things English.
    I see this as more both sides at fault, not just hatred of all things English, as has been demonstrated on here many times.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well I tend to think of them as representing GB as a whole, and the captions certainly list any home players under the GB banner. I have supported the Brit players for a great many years as far back as Ann Jones, Roger Taylor, Winnie Shaw and Ginny Wade right through the David/John Lloyd Henman/Rusedski periods. Same goes for F1 drivers from Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, James Hunt, Mansell, Coulthard right up as far as Hamilton. Might be a bit of a traditionalist though given my advanced years.
    Same goes for Golf too.............Come on you Brits!!
    I tend to do the same for golf, rally and F1 but I never see tennis as a British thing. I know they list them as GB. I do accept that some players want to be recognised for their own nation when not specificaly representing GB. In many ways you cant win. Lots want us all to be GB and lots want us all to be England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.
    I seem to have gone the other way. I was always British in my youth and fully supported the home nations teams and individuals (unless an Englishman was involved). In more recent years I have become increasingly aware of a more nationalistic attitude amongst the other home nations. This is no bad thing but it seems to have been accompanied with an increasing hatred of all things English.
    That has coloured my attitude, possibly more than it should have.
    I am a firm believer that we are a stronger nation as a Union, but we should embrace and celebrate the individual nations too.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Question: Who do players represent at Wimbledon?
    Well I tend to think of them as representing GB as a whole, and the captions certainly list any home players under the GB banner. I have supported the Brit players for a great many years as far back as Ann Jones, Roger Taylor, Winnie Shaw and Ginny Wade right through the David/John Lloyd Henman/Rusedski periods. Same goes for F1 drivers from Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, James Hunt, Mansell, Coulthard right up as far as Hamilton. Might be a bit of a traditionalist though given my advanced years.
    Same goes for Golf too.............Come on you Brits!!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Has he lost yet?
    Nope,

but only because it's raining.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7484184.stm.

However, it doesn't appear to be raining at the bottom of the hill so maybe they'll start soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X