• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "More sound xoggoth science - how to defeat speed cameras"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    You speak for yourself hoot. Personally I always get turned on by putting back those supermarket trolleys that you stack by shoving into the back of the other ones. No wonder they can get away with paying supermarket workers so little with fringe benefits like that.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    After the usual extensive research I have come up with a foolproof plan.

Film in these cameras is cheap and not very discriminating as regards colour. Therefore, if you go through them at 45.6% the speed of light the consequent doppler shift will ensure that they are unable to distinguish the yellow or white surround from the black numbers on your number plate.
    Reading this thread and xog's other about the skinny dippers I was struck, or cross-fertilized if you like, by an idea for another foolproof camera-dodging scheme: buttock-shaped number plates.

I'm not suggesting a camera could be embarrased or anything, but perhaps the cheek angle might deflect enough light to make the plate unreadable by machine even though it would pass the DoT legibility tests.

Also, "buttock plates" as I call them would discourage tail gaters, as no one wants to drive up someone else's arse.

Leave a comment:

• datestamp
    replied
    Tuned to vascar
    Unfortunately, Vascar is done by human eye and the push of an electronic button. Impossible to fool.

But with a Gatso, all you need is a radar detector that activates black pixels on an lcd cover over your plates - then you're home and dry.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    An even better way

I am selling Japaneese number plates to anyone interested , let them try deciphering them and then calling the registry here to find out who they belong too.

Prices start at 10000 Yen

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    it's not that hard:
    http://www.gadgetsuk.com/Photo-block...y-p-16685.html

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    The answer may be in the movies

1/
    James bond had a revolving number plate on a DB5/6, so all you have to do is rotate the number plate whist speeding through the camera and then rotate it back afterwards.

2/
    There was a movie where a gambler cheated by modifying the printing plates for cards. Then whilst playing he could ID the cards as they were marked.
    So either hack the software these things run.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    An alternative I had considered for radar traps was a radar TRANSMITTER mounted in the car. Tuned to vascar (or whatever it is) frequency.

Imagine coppers face when his gun is showing a speed of 500 mph or speed of sound/light whatever.
    or a massive directional EMP generator under your bonnet!

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    An alternative I had considered for radar traps was a radar TRANSMITTER mounted in the car. Tuned to vascar (or whatever it is) frequency.

Imagine coppers face when his gun is showing a speed of 500 mph or speed of sound/light whatever.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    The only way to beat the speed cameras is....

Have a powered plate made up of LEDs that are either black or yellow when not powered but all black or all yellow when powered and make up your plate from these.
    Build a circuit to strobe these fast enough for the human eye to see a constant plate, but a speed camera will only get a black or yellow bar.
    High intensity infra-red source behind the number plate and a heart-beat monitor to explode your car when the police shoot you in the back of the head 8 times for doing 34 in a 30 limit.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    The only way to beat the speed cameras is....

Have a powered plate made up of LEDs that are either black or yellow when not powered but all black or all yellow when powered and make up your plate from these.
    Build a circuit to strobe these fast enough for the human eye to see a constant plate, but a speed camera will only get a black or yellow bar.

Leave a comment:

• GiGo
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    After the usual extensive research I have come up with a foolproof plan..
    Drive more slowly?

Leave a comment:

• datestamp
    replied
    I think that if you were travelling that fast, your number plates would fall off.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    The idea has merit, but I think not for the same reasons...

The black and white of the numberplate are only at the wavelengths detected by the human eye. The film used in speed cameras is more sensitive to ultraviolet, so going faster may actually aid them.

There again, digital speed cameras use sensors that are more sensitive to infrared. If your car was going quite that fast the whole front of the car would glow white hot, thereby blinding that camera.

Leave a comment:

• More sound xoggoth science - how to defeat speed cameras

After the usual extensive research I have come up with a foolproof plan.

Film in these cameras is cheap and not very discriminating as regards colour. Therefore, if you go through them at 45.6% the speed of light the consequent doppler shift will ensure that they are unable to distinguish the yellow or white surround from the black numbers on your number plate.

Working...
X