• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "GBP/EUR exchange rate"

Collapse

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    WTF? You've transferred 45000 euros to GBP and now you want the GBP to collapse?
    Yes. I earned it at 1.6 so I made a decent wedge on that lot.
    I am now going back to work in euroland so I want my 75 euro per hour to be worth lots of pounds.

Pondlife. I am going to South West Germany. I will be using a local airport though I could use Munich or Stuttgart. Both are within striking distance.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Yeah, perhaps we should have a expat CUK do some time
    expat (tm)

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Sterling has followed the greenback down the pan, but not as fast. Neat trick that, it made the pound look stronger when in truth it was weakening. The result has caused massive inflation in food and energy imports.

The UK needs serious cuts in public spending, tax cuts, and an increase in interest rates. None of which is going to happen. In fact, the opposite is more likely to be the result of ‘a period of consultation and study’.

However, fixing the problems of past maladministration will cause problems of it own by deterring the investment in the economy that it desperately needs.
    In short, we’re fracked.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I hope the pound collapses as I have just scored a job in Germany.

I also transfered 45000 euros to GB when it dropped to 1.2.
    WTF? You've transferred 45000 euros to GBP and now you want the GBP to collapse?

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Which city? If you don't mind volunteering the info.
    Yeah, perhaps we should have a expat CUK do some time

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Which city? If you don't mind volunteering the info.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You would think, BUT

In the UK the economy is linked to the housing market. Raising rates will destroy the market further, causing a total collapse in the UK.

Therefore the BoE would rather have a sustained period of rampant inflation and protect the housing market.

Rates will remain constant or even fall.

Lending rates to borrowers however will continue to rise, regardless.

Therefore I would say Sterling is heading towards parity with the Euro.

That's a possible move (under pressure from Gordo) but very dangerous (and stupid)

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I'd guess inflation will be worse in the UK than in the Eurozone. The pressure to raise interest rates will be higher. Higher interest rates = more demand for £s. I'd expect the pound to buy more euros.
    You would think, BUT

In the UK the economy is linked to the housing market. Raising rates will destroy the market further, causing a total collapse in the UK.

Therefore the BoE would rather have a sustained period of rampant inflation and protect the housing market.

Rates will remain constant or even fall.

Lending rates to borrowers however will continue to rise, regardless.

Therefore I would say Sterling is heading towards parity with the Euro.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I'd guess inflation will be worse in the UK than in the Eurozone. The pressure to raise interest rates will be higher. Higher interest rates = more demand for £s. I'd expect the pound to buy more euros.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Since roughly the beginning of the year;

Average (153 days): 1.28844
    High: 1.35200
    Low: 1.23460

Current: 1.2714

So for those of us who invoice in Euro, it's not as good as it has been but it could be worse.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    I was thinking parity, but I'm liking 1.1578. Is it the spread mid-point?
    Made it up. igindex only do far quarter on FX - they have it at 1.266 (7898.0)

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    1 GBP = 1.1578 EUR
    I was thinking parity, but I'm liking 1.1578. Is it the spread mid-point?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Brain drain as anyone with sense goes and works for a currency that's actually worth something.

Doomed.
    It's almost tempting to go back to Moscow for 6 months.

Almost...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Brain drain as anyone with sense goes and works for a currency that's actually worth something.

Doomed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X