• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "senior tory resignation"

Collapse

• MrMark
    replied
    I never thought I'd end up supporting a right-wing Tory, but this issue to me is at the root of our free (-ish) society. Call me foolish if you like, but I've joined the David Davis-Fight For Freedom group on Facebook.

Phew, after all that hard work, time for a cup of tea

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras View Post
    I wish I had your faith but the last 5 elections were won by whichever party the Sun was supporting.
    Its easier to pick the winner of the national in the final furlong than at the start of the race. Just because they side with the winners doesn't make them the reason that they won.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras View Post
    I wish I had your faith but the last 5 elections were won by whichever party the Sun was supporting.
    The Sun and the Mirror are pure propaganda, very clever though all the same.
    Article about Jade Goody/Jordan/Amy Winehouse or some other pathetic celeb, next to a commentary on why GB is, or, is not a hero. So even the politically unaware become politically opinionated, at a basic soundbite level.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    This is a common misconception. There is very little empirical evidence on this, and most social commentators agree that newspapers can only really set the agenda: most people can (and do) think for themselves when it comes to the ballot.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Wrong.

Trevor Kavanagh, political editor of the Sun until recently, is/was possibly the most influential political journalist in the country. The Sun has 4m readers, many swing voters. Its political editor can literaly win general elections.

http://www.davidrowan.com/2005/01/in...n-evening.html
    This is a common misconception. There is very little empirical evidence on this, and most social commentators agree that newspapers can only really set the agenda: most people can (and do) think for themselves when it comes to the ballot.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "Oh yeah, Tony McNulty is a boorish twat. Didn't he used to be in the Carry On films? "

and his glasses are far to small for his big fat head
    Last edited by BoredBloke; 13 June 2008, 09:18.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Wrong.

Trevor Kavanagh, political editor of the Sun until recently, is/was possibly the most influential political journalist in the country. The Sun has 4m readers, many swing voters. Its political editor can literaly win general elections.

According to the fella on question time last night, george something, it's 10 million readers (sorry, lookers. We all know they can't read really!!).

Oh yeah, Tony McNulty is a boorish twat. Didn't he used to be in the Carry On films?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Wrong.

Or at least they 'fink' they can. It was The Sun wot wun it!
    Probably the only paper that changes it political allegiance depending on the Weather. First Labour, then Tory, then Labour

Re David Davis, nice one, letting Gordon off the hook. If he wanted to chane the law he could have waited until Cameron walked into No 10. Instead he takes the heat off Labour.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I wasn't aware that there was a political editor in the sun. He must be way down the pecking order when compared to the big brother correspondent and the tits editor in chief.
    Wrong.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Today, the day after the most appalling decision on civil liberties and a sell out from the government, the sun ran with a front page of "robbie williams brings cellar girl out of coma". I mean FFS.

Thereby proving my point.

I rest my case.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    The beeb have quotes on from various MP's and the like about this at the moment

Below are the Labour ones.

JACQUI SMITH, HOME SECRETARY
    Faced with a crucial decision on the safety and protection of the British public, the Conservatives have collapsed into total disarray on what is their first big policy test since they have come under greater scrutiny. David Cameron must come clean on what has really happened and why David Davis has really resigned.

DAVID BLUNKETT, FORMER HOME SECRETARY
    David Davis's behaviour is a pure piece of political theatre, even more bizarre than John Major resigning as leader of the Tory Party in order to stand again against his own colleagues. This is childish and immature and it is not worthy of a major political party to engage in such theatre.

DAVID HILL, FORMER LABOUR COMMUNICATIONS CHIEF
    This has been a quite extraordinary day. We began with it [42 days] apparently being a problem for Gordon Brown... Before we know it we have Tory division and confusion... David Davis sounded slightly unhinged

HAZEL BLEARS, COMMUNITIES SECRETARY
    The Tories are plainly in disarray and confusion over the serious issue of national security. Behind Cameron's facade are the same old Tories fighting like ferrets in a sack. This forced by-election is a farce - and an insult to the voters in Haltemprice and Howden.

CAROLINE FLINT, HOUSING MINISTER
    It clearly shows a dispute at the top of the Tory Party as to their approach to dealing with issues around countering terrorism. I think there'll be a lot of questions being asked at the Tory high command today and over the weekend about just what is going on... I think this is a waste of public money, David Davis taking this action, but that's his call and he'll have to answer for that.

So it seems that their spin is to show how the Tories are in disarray about this, dispite the fact that it was 36 of their MP's who voted against the bill. The end cannot be far off for this shower.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I was asking the question because I didn't know the answer. Perhaps your northern upbringing was different to mine.

So what is worse? Spending all your time in a cellar being done over by your dad/grandad or admitting that you like Robbie!
    I refer the honorable gentleman to my previous post!

(No, not the one about pissing on someone when they're on fire!!!)

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I was asking the question because I didn't know the answer. Perhaps your northern upbringing was different to mine.

So what is worse? Spending all your time in a cellar being done over by your dad/grandad or admitting that you like Robbie!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    What is worse? Spending all your time in a cellar being done over by your dad/grandad or admitting that you like Robbie!
    I don't know, give us the benefit of your Northern upbringing...

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    What is worse? Spending all your time in a cellar being done over by your dad/grandad or admitting that you like Robbie!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X