• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "This brave woman deserves a medal"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    And I'm sure she's been amply rewarded by GMTV and the newspapers.
    I'm sorry, but am I to understand that you think that every person whose actions are reported by the various media outlets receives payment?

Every newspaper and broadcaster would be bankrupt in a week if that was the case.

If she was a member of Girls Aloud then she might have had a sufficiently savvy PR to get her a few bob - this is just an ordinary person who has done the right thing, and all she's likely to get out of it is a few chavs throwing petrol bombs at her house. Yet, knowing this, she still did the right thing. As the story already exists in the public domain, nobody will pay her a penny.

And frankly, if she does make a few bob out of it (and stories like this are paid for with maybe a couple of hundred quid, not thousands), it's a small reward for the pain a mother must feel at sending her own children to jail.

Cynicism is more appropriately directed at politicians and celebrities than at decent people who probably feel ashamed that their family's dirty linen is being aired in public. I don't think she regards the jailing of her children as an opportunity to make a few bob.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Or better still the viewers...
    Ryman

If only

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Hopefully with a rope, though the wimps in Euroland will put the kybosh on that...

Or even better, Ole Sparky on live TV... even better than big brother.
    Maybe the losers on big brother could be electrocuted? Or better still the viewers...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Hopefully with a rope, though the wimps in Euroland will put the kybosh on that...
    HMSO

Couldn't agree more

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    What a wonderful woman!! She did exactly the right thing.

As usual though, the sentencing is weak...... two years for blinding and almost killing a man!!

They will only serve a year at most and then come out and no doubt take revenge on their brave mother. Then they will get life, and will serve about 6 years, which is the average for murder, thanks to Tony Blair's 'tough on crime policies'. Prior to his stupid legislation which halved many sentences, the average served was 12 years.

Bring on a right wing government, which implements some real deterrent sentencing!!

Leave a comment:

• shelby68
    replied
    Well as ever it never gets correctly reported, she shopped her sons after another family member told her if she didn't do it they would, granted she took responsibility for doing it but you've got to ask would she have done it without that.

She has now incidentally been disowned by her family, if you ask me she’s better off without them.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    She should be applauded for her actions. But she'll probably be beaten up by her other sons.

Linky
    W H Smith

(Bagpuss, is that better?)

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    NWTS.

Not turning them in would be a crime, or ought to be. All she's done is not committed a crime - the minimum of what's acceptable. I haven't committed a crime today either, but nobody's calling for me to get a medal.

A good human interest story, but let's not get carried away labelling people as heroes just because they turn out to be not-scum.
    I think you should get a medal - a posthumous one!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    NWTS.

Not turning them in would be a crime, or ought to be. All she's done is not committed a crime - the minimum of what's acceptable. I haven't committed a crime today either, but nobody's calling for me to get a medal.

A good human interest story, but let's not get carried away labelling people as heroes just because they turn out to be not-scum.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I am with you guys here.
    Saw her on the news. She is distraught.
    She has done the right thing. The thing that so many are not doing.
    There are not enough like her.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I concur
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    She should be applauded for her actions. But she'll probably be beaten up by her other sons.

Linky
    Ridiculous! I can't believe she should get a medal! what about all those who have PAID for their gongs?

Seriously, we need more like her. She is the type of person we need as an MP - someone who walks the walk rather than just talking the talk.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I concur

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    WHS
    WHS. Hope she doesn't suffer a beating for it.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    At the risk of annoying Baggy, WHS.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X