• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accenture PMs from India"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    They would have been able to manage that, there are plenty there.

Mrs Gonzo would probably not have been too happy though, especially as the trip was for our Wedding anniversary.
    Would have saved her a job.....

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    fight fire with water

smother the b@stards

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Why didn't you try asking them to get you some 'ladies of the night'?
    They would have been able to manage that, there are plenty there.

Mrs Gonzo would probably not have been too happy though, especially as the trip was for our Wedding anniversary.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    PMs seem to like lots of documents therefore I would create a detailed document with lots of diagrams and spreadsheets explaining why and then e-mail it to everyone on the project. That would put the wind up them because they would be obliged to respond it kind. This way you can keep a project going on indefinitely.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Or a crate of whisky?

When I stayed in Dubai(well actually Ajman - but still part of UAE) they asked guests not to walk through the lobby in swim-wear. If they had said "we never say no" I would have asked if I could walk through the lobby in swim-wear.

So arabs never say no - I used to know a girl like that.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    It is not so much that they promise the world, it is that they think it is rude to say no so they wont.

It is the same in the middle east, and in the far east.

Chef will need to watch out when he is in Singapore. You ask for something, they'll smile and nod their head, then go away and not do it. Rather than say no to you or ask you to repeat because they haven't understood.

I stayed in a hotel in Dubai and they were very proud of their corporate motto that was "Our first response to a guest request will never be a 'no'."

I was tempted to ask them to provide two US naval frigates in the bathroom and put on a fly-past by the Red Arrows on Thursday afternoon, just to see what they said.

They would have said "We will try our very best." And then on Thursday when I chased why it didn't happen they would have said "Unfortunately, it was not possible." At no point would they have said "don't be stupid" to me.

Obviously, I bottled out .....

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Not heard this one before - so their culture is to promise the world and deliver nothing..... regularly
    It is not so much that they promise the world, it is that they think it is rude to say no so they wont.

It is the same in the middle east, and in the far east.

Chef will need to watch out when he is in Singapore. You ask for something, they'll smile and nod their head, then go away and not do it. Rather than say no to you or ask you to repeat because they haven't understood.

I stayed in a hotel in Dubai and they were very proud of their corporate motto that was "Our first response to a guest request will never be a 'no'."

I was tempted to ask them to provide two US naval frigates in the bathroom and put on a fly-past by the Red Arrows on Thursday afternoon, just to see what they said.

They would have said "We will try our very best." And then on Thursday when I chased why it didn't happen they would have said "Unfortunately, it was not possible." At no point would they have said "don't be stupid" to me.

Obviously, I bottled out .....

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I know it's a cultural thing and they'd just promise it and then not deliver. Have been burnt by Bharti pulling this stunt a few times. Maybe I should fight fire with fire
    Not heard this one before - so their culture is to promise the world and deliver nothing..... regularly

and we seem to think outsourcing to people with this sort of culture attitude is a good thing

who us more stoopid us or them.....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    I know it's a cultural thing and they'd just promise it and then not deliver. Have been burnt by Bharti pulling this stunt a few times. Maybe I should fight fire with fire?
    definetly! take no quarter.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I know it's a cultural thing and they'd just promise it and then not deliver. Have been burnt by Bharti pulling this stunt a few times. Maybe I should fight fire with fire?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Client Co seems to be filling up rapidly with these.

Why don't they understand that "no we can't do that by then" means just that. It doesn't mean "go away and get your boss and then his boss and then the boss's boss's boss and even a 'partner' (which incidently means nothing and scares no-one apart from the permie-Accenturites) to keep phoning me asking me the same b@stard question". If it was possible to do then I'd agree to do it. I'm not telling you you can't have it for fun and if I can't do it you had better believe no-one can!

.. and then the phone goes again and it's another one of the Bertie Blunts about a different project.

It's not being 'assertive', it's being an ignorant, pain in the @rse!

Try not answering the phone!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    My Accenture flipwits all seem to be Eastern European... its the EDS Indian imports who are truly dire
    Eventually Delivering S-tulip

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    no we can't do that by then
    Is it possible you could do that by then IF you stopped whatever else you were doing and started on that?

Just wondering!

Oh and they are not being assertive they are being yes men to their boss and then sh*tting them selves when they realise they have backed themseleves into a corner by a** kissing.

If they were really assertive then they would tell Boss the answer is no - but you could have it by 'new date'

Hey ho

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    My Accenture feckwits all seem to be Eastern European... its the EDS Indian imports who are truly dire

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Client Co seems to be filling up rapidly with these.

Why don't they understand that "no we can't do that by then" means just that. It doesn't mean "go away and get your boss and then his boss and then the boss's boss's boss and even a 'partner' (which incidently means nothing and scares no-one apart from the permie-Accenturites) to keep phoning me asking me the same b@stard question". If it was possible to do then I'd agree to do it. I'm not telling you you can't have it for fun and if I can't do it you had better believe no-one can!

.. and then the phone goes again and it's another one of the Bertie Blunts about a different project.

It's not being 'assertive', it's being an ignorant, pain in the @rse!

So you're not a fan then

FWIW I go through the same thing daily with the same company you mentioned ^^^. I am now immune to all their noise.
    Last edited by oracleslave; 30 May 2008, 15:48.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X