• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: UK Broadband...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK Broadband..."

Collapse

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Im with Nildram but because we live in Canary Wharf we can only get 2MB services there. Apparently there are too many poor people in the area so BT doesnt see the point in upgrading the services to Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs!

Bloody poor people! They should all be put to work!

Mailman
    Ho Ho Ho. BT wont give Canary wharf high speed internet.....

The UK is best placed for ebusiness my arse.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Im with Nildram but because we live in Canary Wharf we can only get 2MB services there. Apparently there are too many poor people in the area so BT doesnt see the point in upgrading the services to Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs!

Bloody poor people! They should all be put to work!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Paco
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    According to the website from Paco, Demon look quite good. Anyone have any experience with them?
    I'm actually with Demon, and they're OK but nothing special. I think they are a very traditional ISP in that they don't have any flashy deals or complex pricing structures, capping etc., just bog standard internet provision, 12 month minimum contract. They also tried to charge me 30 quid a year to host my domain name, and that was without any web space.

I've had a couple of encounters with their tech support, and although they're not the quickest they do always respond and are quite useful. And it is possible to speak to a real (English) person on the phone who knows what they're talking about.

Finally they've just upgraded me from 512K to 2M, or as near to that as my line can manage, free of charge, which was nice of them.

Leave a comment:

• Crazyhorse
    replied
    I've been with Demon since dial-up days, joined adsl on 512 but we're all being upgraded to 2Mb for the same price. You get a fixed IP address. I've never had a problem with them.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    BT Business Broadband 2Mb - no problems (and you can ignore their install CD which puts an annoying BT stuff on your IE).

According to the website from Paco, Demon look quite good. Anyone have any experience with them?
    In terms of bang for your buck, looks like a no-brainer in favour of Bulldog.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    BT Business Broadband 2Mb - no problems (and you can ignore their install CD which puts an annoying BT stuff on your IE).

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    NTL - 1.5mb, no limit. Total pants

Wage in 'tried to get online at 21:00 last night' mode.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Paco
    Take a look at this site, where you can compare a number of ISPs on cost, speed, support etc.

BTW Spod, are they still recruiting at your place? If so, any chance you could PM me with the best person to contact please as I'd rather not use an agency if I can avoid it? My contract here is up in a few weeks unless they can find some more money for another extension.

If anybody else is able to offer contacts in companies 'oop north' doing real-time embedded C/C++ then there's a pint (virtual or otherwise) in it for you. I've now got a baby daughter so I'm desperately trying to avoid a weekly commute down south.

Cheers...
    Paco, message sent.

Leave a comment:

• Paco
    replied
    Take a look at this site, where you can compare a number of ISPs on cost, speed, support etc.

BTW Spod, are they still recruiting at your place? If so, any chance you could PM me with the best person to contact please as I'd rather not use an agency if I can avoid it? My contract here is up in a few weeks unless they can find some more money for another extension.

If anybody else is able to offer contacts in companies 'oop north' doing real-time embedded C/C++ then there's a pint (virtual or otherwise) in it for you. I've now got a baby daughter so I'm desperately trying to avoid a weekly commute down south.

Cheers...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yes that bulldog deal looks unbeatable.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/

See if your BT exchange is listed. If it is you can get 8mbit for £39.99 per month with a 120GB per month cap (although they say they only pursure persistent offenders).
    Very poor value compared to Bulldog - 8mbit uncapped for £17.50/month or £29.50 if you want unlimited phone calls as well.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn

See if your BT exchange is listed. If it is you can get 8mbit for £39.99 per month with a 120GB per month cap (although they say they only pursure persistent offenders).
    Unfortunately we're too far away from the exchange...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Telewest 1meg no download limits

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod
    In the UK we're with BT and have a 1 mbit download with 15GB limit per month. We're looking to change...

Who out there(in the UK) is using what? How much, what speed and are there any limits?

Spod - In "Any help appreciated or abuse Chico/Franco, whatever" mode!
    Mate of mine uses the 8mbit Bulldog package with no monthly cap. He rates it highly. For a no frills package with no cap, Tesco are recommended by many.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X