• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Neighbours and fences"

Collapse

• Clippy
    replied
    Can't really add too much to what has already been said regarding the practicalities of replacing your fence but with regards title deeds/land registry confirming who owns the fence, don't bank on it.

Had a dispute with a neighbour (luckily, not my primary residence) regarding fence ownership so when I reverted to the title deeds to clarify, was about as useful as a chocolate teapot. In the end, paid for the fence to be put up myself and £800 sounds about right.

In your scenario, I would still clarify who's responsibility this boundary is and if you have strong proof it's your neighbours, then I'd get them to pay for it - it sounds like they wouldn't issue with this anyway.

These websites may come in handy though:

http://www.boundary-problems.co.uk

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    They must be reputable dealers of stolen goods. Good fences make good neighbours, apparently.

IGMC
    rapier wit there

igmc as well

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If it is your fence why should they put up anything? Sounds jolly decent of them to me - you are lucky to have neighbours who are such damn good eggs.
    They must be reputable dealers of stolen goods. Good fences make good neighbours, apparently.

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• kevlong
    replied
    As a rule of thumb for fence ownership/responsibility take a look at which side the posts are. If the posts are on the neighbours side and you have the nice bit, then chances are the fence is yours and your responsibility and of course vice versa for the other way around. Typically for gardens that run parallel to one another, the land registry will have each householder responsible for one side as you run up through the street.

Of course for complex plots/layouts this approach may not fully work, but it could give you a good idea.

Kevlong

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Just backing you up...

EO - are you sure you're alright to drive with vision that poor?
    bejesus.
    I am going straight to the opticians at lunch time. I just hope I dont get lost

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Torran View Post
    I hear you, not sure what your trying to say but I hear you
    Just backing you up...

EO - are you sure you're alright to drive with vision that poor?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Luckily I have a river that separates me from the neighbours in two directions, and I own the fields to just over the horizon in the others.

Which is nice.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    I hear you, not sure what your trying to say but I hear you

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Torran View Post
    no chance!! £78.50 for a days hire or full outfit bought for £785.

Must have been. They'd be out of business if they were asking £700 nicker for a days hire
    http://www.moss.co.uk/pws/hire/prici...#highland_hire

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Oops, sp. Lomond

I did notice something that left me gob smacked

Highland outfit for hire (the Saltire) in the high st, for weddings etc
    £785 for the day

Blooming heck. You could get a new fence for that

no chance!! £78.50 for a days hire or full outfit bought for £785.

Must have been. They'd be out of business if they were asking £700 nicker for a days hire

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Oops, sp. Lomond

I did notice something that left me gob smacked

Highland outfit for hire (the Saltire) in the high st, for weddings etc
    £785 for the day

Blooming heck. You could get a new fence for that

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Lomand? Shirley?
    was letting that one slide

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Spectacular, Glen Coe was as you described, and I got a perfectly framed shot of loch Lomand, with mountain reflections, and a carpet of bluebells in the forground

Lomand? Shirley?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Wise words.

My Mother thought an estimate of £100 too expensive so decided that I could replace two panels for her when I next visited instead. The panels themselves are a doddle to replace, it’s the posts that are a nightmare. Removing about a cubic foot of concrete a foot down isn’t quick or fun. My tip is not to even try to chip away at the concrete unless you have heavy duty power tools – it took me three hours per post. You need to dig around the concrete mass and pull the thing out whole. Putting a new post in is easy though, you can buy a bag of post concrete for that and it sets in minutes.
    Top tip ! Move all the fence posts along a foot or so, no need for digging up the old stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Spectacular, Glen Coe was as you described, and I got a perfectly framed shot of loch Lomand, with mountain reflections, and a carpet of bluebells in the forground

got a shiver up my spine (a good one) just reading that.

really really jealous

Leave a comment:

Working...
X