• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Benched or Boomed

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Benched or Boomed"

Collapse

• MrRobin
    replied
    20% on the bench and another 20% heading there fast... Eek! Must be getting rather cosy!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Where's the new contract, same rate option? Cos that's where I am. More working at home means it does work out better, and it's a more interesting and challenging role which looks like running until the end of the year at least.

Only bad thing is I've been waiting 3 weeks since the end of the last one to get started.

So a partial boomed.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I don't think you've quite grasped it yet !
    Yes, a true contractor who gives an estimate. Sets a price. Does the job and then hopes for payment. Oddly. The longest I have had to wait is with the last agency who have yet to pay me. It took ME to phone them and find out that the f&(&(*& timesheet was illegible on their end. And I'm still waiting...

My other clients pay within 10 days. I just wish there were more of them.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Heading rapidly towards the bench - I arrive there tomorrow afternoon!

Not bothered though... there's load of work out there (except for all that boring financial stuff in the City, which seems to be melting away), so I'm just chilling for a bit before I take up my next gig

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    extension coming up - another 6 months and its time to up my rates
    and plan B is coming along nicely

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    And I usually operate on a fixed-fee basis.
    I don't think you've quite grasped it yet !
    Last edited by rootsnall; 21 May 2008, 14:12. Reason: better

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I'm not really on the bench...and not really off it.
    I work on projects remotely...but often I have sit around and wait whilst various decisions are made and the IT/DBA guys get their act together.

And I usually operate on a fixed-fee basis. So I'm feeling the pinch quite a bit right now..even if I have three projects on the go concurrently.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Where is the "I'm an agent and will screw the bench if necessary" option?
    Where's the "I'm a loaded contractor who will lead the agent on to a start date and then say na it's not for me" option?

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Extended until end of October...woohoo

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Where is the "I'm an agent and will screw the bench if necessary" option?

Leave a comment:

• ruth11
    replied
    Ask me again in a couple of weeks. Current contract finishes on June 10th, renewal going through at the moment, but no idea whether it will be approved by the people at the top, because rumour has it they're looking to ditch a few of us.

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    I'm with Ace.

New contract, less money, but significantly easier commute means hourly rate when including commute time is actually higher so voting option 4.

Al.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Busted - New contract, less money.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    hmmm

Don't look good.
    Glad I'm an Engineer! Still no working was wrong with this thing..

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Expecting another renewal in 2 months time. This department is growing in size due to the amount of incoming work so not currently too worried about ending up on the bench.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X