• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Telegraph campaign: Fair deal for car drivers"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    These days little to choose between labour and tory.
    Agreed - that's what made me wonder - especially since the Tories started that Fuel Price Escalator that stuck to Labour - like the Dome.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I think it's bang out of order to extend these rises back for cars manufactured since 2001 - surely that's just kicking people who can't afford a newer car?

As for the 50% rise since Labour came to power, I'd love to see a comparison between that and previous Tory and Labour governments - not saying it's not a lot, but I just wonder how it compares with the past and with the average rise in earnings.
    These days little to choose between labour and tory.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I think it's bang out of order to extend these rises back for cars manufactured since 2001 - surely that's just kicking people who can't afford a newer car?

As for the 50% rise since Labour came to power, I'd love to see a comparison between that and previous Tory and Labour governments - not saying it's not a lot, but I just wonder how it compares with the past and with the average rise in earnings.

Leave a comment:

• Beavis
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Well thats expenses. You are confusing claiming expenses with setting a rate. Are you sure you are a contactor ?
    I am not confusing anything
    Read back some and perhaps you will understand

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Beavis View Post
    It depends on your mode of operating

I work mainly from my home office, if the client requires a site visit then that becomes a chargable item.

If the client is remote and requires a stay-away, then that too is a chargeable item.

If the costs of travel and or hotel rooms increases, then all I do is pass on the full costs to the client.

easy innit

HTH
    Well thats expenses. You are confusing claiming expenses with setting a rate. Are you sure you are a contactor ?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Sympathy for Taxi drivers?

Umm, on my list of people who get my sympathy they come somewhere very near the bottom. Especially black cabs - can someone please explain why in this day and age of sat nav black cabs in London still get to charge you a fiver for opening the door?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    It's not all gloom and doom. Take the invasion of England by the Netherlands in 1688 as an example.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Boomed.
    Don't forget, the Dutch helped us sort out Gibraltar, and Algiers!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Of course not just IT. Research going offshore. Backoffice too. Next will be the traders.

Then this country will just be left with chavs. The powerbase will be India/China.
    It's not all gloom and doom. Take the invasion of England by the Netherlands in 1688 as an example.

The incomers brought banking methods that transformed London as a commercial centre. The result was that Britain boomed, becoming a rich and powerful nation after 1688, while the Netherlands remained a European backwater. It caused resentment in Holland that, in Jardine's words, their glory had been "plundered" by the British.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Boomed.

Leave a comment:

• Beavis
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Beavis, if you can go and squeeze more cash for some spurious reason (eg if fuel prices go up), why havn't you already done so ? If you could get more dosh you really should have done it already
    It depends on your mode of operating

I work mainly from my home office, if the client requires a site visit then that becomes a chargable item.

If the client is remote and requires a stay-away, then that too is a chargeable item.

If the costs of travel and or hotel rooms increases, then all I do is pass on the full costs to the client.

easy innit

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Don't tax people on what they earn, tax them on what they spend!!!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    More BULLtulip . Rates are determined by market factors (supply /demand etc), and you obviously don't know what that means, not your actual overhead costs.

For example with 2 otherwise equal candidates, the client will normally chose the cheapest. The fact that one drives 200 miles a day, while the other has a 10 minute walk means nothings to the client. The driver will have to absorb his additional costs to be competive.

It's called CAPITALISM, so go P'off and pollute someone elses thread.
    Yeah. I had this discussion with the missus, on a different but related subject.
    The question was should I take offer 1 or offer 2. She says 'well its only 3% , and offer 2 is in a much nicer place'

Well I thought about this for a while. £1.5 extra is NOT 3% more (on £50), if I make £15 an hour pure profit, that £1.50 becomes 10% extra.

Beavis, if you can go and squeeze more cash for some spurious reason (eg if fuel prices go up), why havn't you already done so ? If you could get more dosh you really should have done it already

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Of course not just IT. Research going offshore. Backoffice too. Next will be the traders.

Then this country will just be left with chavs. The powerbase will be India/China.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    <DOOM>
    First it was only help desk and everybody else felt his job was safe. Then development was outsourced but system administrators felt their job was safe. Then system administration was outsourced too but architects and consultants felt their jobs were safe. Then architect/consultant jobs were outsourced but business analysts and manager felt safe. Now I am increasing seeing a lot of business analysts and managers overseas so my advise is: be afraid, be very afraid, nobody is safe.
    </DOOM>
    First they came for the help desk, but I did not speak out, because I did not work on the help desk.

Then they came for the developers, but I did not speak out, because I was not a developer.

Then they came for the system administrators, but I did not speak out, because I was not a system administrator.

Then they came for the architects and consultants, but I did not speak out, because I was neither an architect nor a consultant.

Then they came for me, and there was nobody left to speak out for me.

(Inspired by Pastor Martin Niemöller)
    Last edited by NickFitz; 12 May 2008, 02:46.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    I doubt many of us are replacable with an Indian. Except maybe Wiolmslow.
    <DOOM>
    First it was only help desk and everybody else felt his job was safe. Then development was outsourced but system administrators felt their job was safe. Then system administration was outsourced too but architects and consultants felt their jobs were safe. Then architect/consultant jobs were outsourced but business analysts and manager felt safe. Now I am increasing seeing a lot of business analysts and managers overseas so my advise is: be afraid, be very afraid, nobody is safe.
    </DOOM>

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Are you sure that they are not able to replace you with an indian manager? Strangely some people are convinced that they are irreplaceable.
    I doubt many of us are replacable with an Indian. Except maybe Wiolmslow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X