• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bikes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bikes"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Might get one of these, just for old-times sake as I had one as a child...

If anybody's got and original and wants to sell it for a tenner, I'll bite your arm off.

Leave a comment:

• noob
    replied
    Next time you need new tyres, have a look at hybrid ones, flattish in the middle & knobbly at the edges. They're ok for trails etc but are also ok on the road.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by noob View Post
    When Boris is Prime Minister it will be!

I got out on mine at the weekend for the first time in ages, did about 3 miles on Sat & another 5.5 on Sun, mostly off road etc, great fun!

Another vote for Wiggle for accessories here, bought my hybred from a place in Crowthorne. I always try and buy from a proper bike shop rather than Halfords etc..
    I don't know the make of mine, it was my brothers. Perhaps I should get a new one. I like the way the current one is as happy with grass as it is on the road though, whereas my old racing bike was no good on grass and kept getting puntures. The fat tyres on this one are slow on the road though.

I cycled into the city center for the first time in years, which takes too long and is way too much hassle by car. I like the way you can cycle up to and park up in front of the shops or prominades, and it's suprising how much ground you can cover by bike, much more than by car in the centre and almost nowhere is inaccessible. Went for a long bumpy off-road ride on Sunday too, but the gears are making a funny noise after that.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by noob View Post
    I always try and buy from a proper bike shop rather than Halfords etc..
    That is sage advice.

I went into "Bikehut" (a subsidiary of Halfords) in Twickenham on Saturday and they could barely work the till.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    Nothing to add - threaded sums it up nicely. No one has mentioned fixed gear or singlespeed which makes an excellent commuter setup, but you need to be quite fit for anywhere that's not totally flat.

Leave a comment:

• noob
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I used my bike quite a bit over the weekend. The freedom to roam is quite incredible and more people should be encouraged to get on their bikes. This should be a Tory policy .
    When Boris is Prime Minister it will be!

I got out on mine at the weekend for the first time in ages, did about 3 miles on Sat & another 5.5 on Sun, mostly off road etc, great fun!

Another vote for Wiggle for accessories here, bought my hybred from a place in Crowthorne. I always try and buy from a proper bike shop rather than Halfords etc..

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I used my bike quite a bit over the weekend. The freedom to roam is quite incredible and more people should be encouraged to get on their bikes. This should be a Tory policy

Edit: My brakes squeal like mad though.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Thanks

Bought one of these over the weekend and rode it to work this morning. It's very nice but has brobably been nicked by now...

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    I've got a Raleigh Grifter you can have for a tenner.

Leave a comment:

• DogTown
    replied
    Guess it depends on ya route, but mines a Charge Plug.... http://www.chargebikes.com/products/...tail.php?id=11 So I have a busy A-road, then City Centre, then another A-road, a lil bit of Hardshoulder then a dirt track, another A-road then a Town Centre. Its Single speed, but loads of fun, and the course is about 8 miles (training run, plus commute (when its dry lol))

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I'm currently cycling around 20 miles per day to and from work but my bike is not up to the job; hence I need a replacement. I'm not going off road at all - so I'll be quite happy with a hybrid. Bike technology has come on so much since I last bought a bike (15 years) that I really don't know what to look for. Is £400 a reasonable budget and what bits are important?

Cheers

Andy

Where is Shimano when you need him?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof View Post
    SKS Raceblades for when there are no holes, the dogs undercarriage of mudguards.
    Oh dear. Race blades are one of the wonders of marketing, they are quite pointless extra weight (and badly fitted ones are an extra hazard I might add).

Mudguards are to protect the bikes mechanics; you can just put on a fresh shirt and shorts, so they need to be full length, with a flap on the front one

HTH

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Of course. But he's just wanting to commute. A racer is no good as you can't fit mudguards.
    SKS Raceblades for when there are no holes, the dogs undercarriage of mudguards.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    But you've got to spend a lot of money to get a good cyclocross bike...
    Of course. But he's just wanting to commute. A racer is no good as you can't fit mudguards.

I wouldn't bother with that one from Halford, disk brakes are a pain on a regular commute bike, either the pads don't last long or are useless, and cheap disk brakes are so snatchy. Headset is awful. Also you can't fit decent mudguards or a rack. Tires and components are cheap cheap cheap, you can get better for that money. Oh, it's just nasty.

Regular rim brakes are cheaper, longer lasting and lighter, easy to replace and adjust. Drum brakes are by far the best, but unless you're well into bike repair, they can be irritating.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    what kind of bike do you want for your budget Road (Racing drop handlebars ....) or Hybred (Almost a bulky MTB but better on the roads)?

If you are in the City of London pop into Evans and hand over your CC and take one for a quick spin, at the very least youll get an idea of frame size taht is confortable for you.

THe Cayo bikes wiggle sell are excelent, well the Road bikes and MTBs are have no experience of the Hybreds?

If you are going to get a road bike then get one with Mudguard holes for those wet winter days, take the mudguards off in the summer?

Also invest in some clip in peddals and shoes, changes your whole cycling experience.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X