• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I can hardly believe this wasn't already banned"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Rantor View Post
    At the risk of further piffling (oh, I felt proper chastised when I read that), you have not said anything that explains how this measure is going to improve public safety other than people wont be offended by the sight of someone drinking.
    Bus drivers already had the right to refuse to allow you on board the bus if you were openly drinking.

This change makes little difference as the only people I've seen openly drinking from beer cans/bottles on public transport are:
    1. Alcoholics who noone would sit near anyway
    2. Young Australians who weren't actually drunk and where not causing a nuisance
    3. Groups of students who are obviously on a pub crawl or hen/stag parties who are just loud whether they have alcohol with them or not.

There is nothing stopping people drinking in other containers. I know because I've done it in my youth - vodka and coke in a coke bottle.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Where do you live? Do you mind if we ahem 'adjust' the council tax appropriately to fund this excellent suggestion?
    I dont mind if you adjust my council tax, instead of spending £20mil on translation services they could readjust the budget to spend an extra £20mil on policing!

You see, this is the problem with you poms. Your only solution to everything is taxation!

Problem solved.

Peow peow!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Rantor...let's just forget for a moment about political parties and focus on the issue at hand.

Problem

Certain elements of society are using public transport whilst intoxicated and posing a Health and Safety Risk to themselves and to fellow passengers. Whilst intoxicated, they may act in a threatening manner and verbally and / or physcially assaults innocents.

I'm not suggesting that making it a crime and legislating will stop it overnight, but it will provide a legal recourse to use if someone does get arrested.

Rules and regulations fall in to many catergories, and some are vital and others just plainly stupid. However, on the balance of it, this would seem to be aimed at protecting passengers and making life just that little bit more difficult for the thugs.

I'd say :"Sleepwalking yes. But we have woken up and discovered we're a bunch of retards".
    At the risk of further piffling (oh, I felt proper chastised when I read that), you have not said anything that explains how this measure is going to improve public safety other than people wont be offended by the sight of someone drinking.

In other parts of the country, it has always been illegal to drink in public and it certainly has done nothing to curtail ant-social behaviour.

My problem with this is that it does not address any problem other than the new mayor's need to be seen to 'do something' plus incrementally moving the state/individual relationship a bit further in the direction its been going for a good few years.

I can't be bothered to check the quote at the end (maybe its a BGG original), but it means less than nothing in this context though maybe you can shed some light on this?

Instead of watching the Apprentice, maybe you could get a Judge Dredd costume made up and start sorting this stuff out good and proper

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Rantor piffled : Thats right - legislate, regulate and extend the remit the myriad state proxies in the name of the greater good - couldn't be any more New Labour if he tried

Have you ever travelled sober on a night bus? Its generally not the most relaxing of experiences; rarely a can in sight but an endless supply of blootered crazies. The police already have the powers to deal with public order offences - this will do nothing to address public safety.
    Rantor...let's just forget for a moment about political parties and focus on the issue at hand.

Problem

Certain elements of society are using public transport whilst intoxicated and posing a Health and Safety Risk to themselves and to fellow passengers. Whilst intoxicated, they may act in a threatening manner and verbally and / or physcially assaults innocents.

Possible Solutions

Put a conductor on each form of public transport to maintain order, and throw the yobs off. Would be too expensive, and also may lay the transport company open to potential legal action from a person man-handled off the form of transport.

Breathalise every passenger before they alight. Impractical.

Put a police officer on each form of public transport to maintain order, and throw the yobs off. Would be hideously expensive and Rantor would complain of a Police State anyway.

Tell people in the papers and on telly that drinking and getting paralytic in public is "not cool". Won't work. People don't like being told what they can and cannot do. Very few people care about moral decency these days. I think Rantor would be the first to complain about being "nannied".

I'm not suggesting that making it a crime and legislating will stop it overnight, but it will provide a legal recourse to use if someone does get arrested.

Rules and regulations fall in to many catergories, and some are vital and others just plainly stupid. However, on the balance of it, this would seem to be aimed at protecting passengers and making life just that little bit more difficult for the thugs.

We all laughed tonight about "Michael" from the Apprentice, a "good jewish boy" who didn't know the difference between "kosher" and "halal" meat.

Considering Michael studied "Classics" at University, and is supposed to be intelligent and aware of cultures (not least his own), does it come as any suprise that if he knows diddly squat, then the local Chav's where I live who hang around the car park smoking skunk and drinking Stella have no idea that their behaviour is "wrong" ?

You may say : "Be careful, the UK is sleepwalking in to a Police State"

I'd say :"Sleepwalking yes. But we have woken up and discovered we're a bunch of retards".

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Well in my opinion it's an obvious and sensible move.

Why should we put up with people drinking on the streets (and I don't mean in street cafes BTW) or on public transport ?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I hope that this doesn't apply to the Thames Clippers.

The larger ones of those have a bar on board. It is all very civilised. It is just a shame my journey is so short that I have to down my drink in a couple of minutes.
    It doesn't

And it won't to responsible travellers on SW trains either - or any other trains.

it's the chavs he's going after - and about frackin time!

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    They're not on the side of people that get drunk on trains, and are thus helping the responsible people that want to travel in peace and security. There is also a health and safety issue with drinking alcohol on trains, with negotiating escalators, lifts, doors etc.
    I was on a train last week and some drunken idiot was throwing stones as he got off, and also climbed down from the platform to cross the line rather than use the bridge.
    Personally, I have never had the urge to drink alcohol on a train. Why not wait until you get to the pub? If people are too drunk to travel, then they should not be allowed on a train to upset other passengers. I was on a train from Waterloo earlier this year and a drunken passenger threw up and splattered me and another passenger in vomit.
    Boris is absolutely right with this edict to stop this disgusting, dangerous and irresponsible behaviour as far as I am concerned!!

There can be a H & S issue about anything if some H&S w***** wants to stop people enjoying themselves. This is the UK and peple need training on how to handle getting pissed, thats all.

Nothing wrong with having a drink on a train, helps mitigate the poor and slow service. You are assuming that the drunks got drunk on the train. This is bunkum. They got drunk in pubs and clubs and are travelling home. What else should they do - drive?

Maybe we must therefore become a teetotal or islamic country in order to satisfy all those goody goody two shoes who never have any fun

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    I hope that this doesn't apply to the Thames Clippers.

The larger ones of those have a bar on board. It is all very civilised. It is just a shame my journey is so short that I have to down my drink in a couple of minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    They're not on the side of people that get drunk on trains, and are thus helping the responsible people that want to travel in peace and security. There is also a health and safety issue with drinking alcohol on trains, with negotiating escalators, lifts, doors etc.
    I was on a train last week and some drunken idiot was throwing stones as he got off, and also climbed down from the platform to cross the line rather than use the bridge.
    Personally, I have never had the urge to drink alcohol on a train. Why not wait until you get to the pub? If people are too drunk to travel, then they should not be allowed on a train to upset other passengers. I was on a train from Waterloo earlier this year and a drunken passenger threw up and splattered me and another passenger in vomit.
    Boris is absolutely right with this edict to stop this disgusting, dangerous and irresponsible behaviour as far as I am concerned!!
    Thats right - legislate, regulate and extend the remit the myriad state proxies in the name of the greater good - couldn't be any more New Labour if he tried

Have you ever travelled sober on a night bus? Its generally not the most relaxing of experiences; rarely a can in sight but an endless supply of blootered crazies. The police already have the powers to deal with public order offences - this will do nothing to address public safety.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    This is what happens when you vote for a Tory. They aren't actually on your side at all...

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOmegaMan View Post
    This is easy to enforce with heavily-armed tube staff. For anyone with a beer can, it is a shoot to kill policy. The only problem I can see is spillage, but we could employ a couple of the turkeys on here to suck up the slops.
    Jabber, you're back! The forum hasn't been the same without your clear-sighted insights. Please stick around.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I think all eating and drinking should be banned. and dressing like a chav.
    What am I going to wear when attending a "Chav themed" fancy dress party?

You just haven't thought it through...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I think all eating and drinking should be banned. and dressing like a chav.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOmegaMan View Post
    This is easy to enforce with heavily-armed tube staff. For anyone with a beer can, it is a shoot to kill policy. The only problem I can see is spillage, but we could employ a couple of the turkeys on here to suck up the slops.
    tan, and an overly heavy coat for the weather

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    So, now I am to be criminalised for enjoying a little snifter on the tube on the way home because some lout cannot control himself?

I want my vote back.
    This is what happens when you vote for a Tory. They aren't actually on your side at all...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X