• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Repossessions set for dramatic rise"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret View Post
    Add high inflation to this and what do you think might happen?
    That's bad in the short term but for those who can hang on until inflation inflates their pay, they should be OK in the long run. A series of promotions and pay rises which took real inflation into account certainly helped me in my early house owning days.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

Doomed.
    One mans doomed is another mans boomed... I have a small mortgage and I'm looking for a larger house.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Sounds good to me. At the moment we have this crazy situation where I pay £800 pm rent for a flat that would be costing me at least £1300 in mortgage payments if I'd bought it. Bring on the falls!
    Ditto ish - renting a house for £1350 a month, the mortgage payments would be over £3000 if I were to buy something similar.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    knocking one out

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Great doom posting Ferret . Even has hardened doomster like me quivering in my boots.
    knocking one out

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...rk-822851.html

Like bagpuss said, not that many people can afford much more than a flat with the new (return to the old) lending regimes and with all the media finally suggesting prices are too high people will hold off buying. So house prices sales will stagnate but this should in turn lead on to some hefty falls in price IMO.

And those who are coming off old cheap fixed rates are getting a double whammy of higher living costs plus higher mortgage payments. So this could lead to higher repossessions, more properties coming on to the market, BTL'ers who got in late going under, emigration growing, sounds like the perfect recipe for a sharp downturn in house prices to me, will be very surprised to see "stagnation" of house prices over the next 12-24 months.

Doomed.

Great doom posting Ferret . Even has hardened doomster like me quivering in my boots.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied

Like bagpuss said, not that many people can afford much more than a flat with the new (return to the old) lending regimes and with all the media finally suggesting prices are too high people will hold off buying. So house prices sales will stagnate but this should in turn lead on to some hefty falls in price IMO.

And those who are coming off old cheap fixed rates are getting a double whammy of higher living costs plus higher mortgage payments. So this could lead to higher repossessions, more properties coming on to the market, BTL'ers who got in late going under, emigration growing, sounds like the perfect recipe for a sharp downturn in house prices to me, will be very surprised to see "stagnation" of house prices over the next 12-24 months.

Doomed.
    Sounds good to me. At the moment we have this crazy situation where I pay £800 pm rent for a flat that would be costing me at least £1300 in mortgage payments if I'd bought it. Bring on the falls!

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    You're forgetting to factor in people coming off fixed rates from 2/3 years ago now not being able to get a decent mortgage deal, and payments going up.

Whilst I don't think we're in doom country, I think house prices will stagnate in the medium term which is an effective drop given the inflation we're living with at the moment.

What does seem to be falling off a cliff is the housing market. As everyone knows we now have a small year-on-year decline in prices, but that conceals six months of gains and six months of losses. Look at prices on a six-month basis and prices are falling at an annual rate of around 9 per cent. Look at them on a three-month basis and annualise that, and the number for the Halifax index is minus 15.7 per cent. Those of us who expected either a plateau in prices or modest declines look like being wrong.

Doomed.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The major factor is whether borrowers can service their loans.
    As long as they can they wont have a problem.
    Things that will stop them is a big enough rise in interest rates or if they lose thier jobs.
    When you can counter that then we may be in trouble.
    You're forgetting to factor in people coming off fixed rates from 2/3 years ago now not being able to get a decent mortgage deal, and payments going up.

Whilst I don't think we're in doom country, I think house prices will stagnate in the medium term which is an effective drop given the inflation we're living with at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    How many times does it have to be explianed to you.

There may be a house price crash, but personaly I doubt it will be that bad.

The major factor is whether borrowers can service their loans.
    As long as they can they wont have a problem.
    Things that will stop them is a big enough rise in interest rates or if they lose thier jobs.
    At the moment the BOE is keeping the base rate fairly stable and there does not (at the moment) seem to be a massive surge in unemployment.

If there is a drop in prices then the market will dry up. People who are in negative equity will sit tight and not sell thus restricting the availability of houses thus pushing the price back up.

While rates are manageable and there is no threat to jobs there will be no crash as such.

When you can counter that then we may be in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Can't be true, Gormless said there would be no more boom and bust.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    My posts are more informative than most of the clutter on this board. They are aimed at adjusting the perception that that property is only a one way up investment. Too many people have relied on house prices rising, and the easy availablility to pile further debt up on top of rising prices in order to fund further investment on property or even their holidays and cars. Unfortuneately for them, the days of 'adding it to the mortgage' are over. This is likely to cause a correction similar or worse to the early '90s. This is a natural market reaction to over bought assets and should be welcomed by those FTB's and upgraders.

Lower prices will benefit most people. But, in any correction there will be casulties. Judging by the replies to this thread, it's hurting some of you big time. Many contractors have put everything into BTL and built up large debts. That may be some of you. I suspect that some of you are in denial about this. Maybe some of you will be ruined and have to start again. Let it be a lesson learnt.
    Not the sharpest tool in the box, are you? So house prices are not a "one way up investment"? Whoopeddy do dah, when did that genius insight strike you, shyte for brains?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by 51st State View Post
    Fine that you hold your own view that the market is going to fall, because you think (oddly) that there is a connection between average earnings and the average house price.
    What's odd about that? there is a link between average house prices and average earnings. Traditionally lenders have lent on 3.5 price to earnings ratio and house prices have been to some extent restricted by this. As lenders started to ease conditions, letting more people self cert (lie) and increasing the multiples it's no longer possible for an average wage to purchase an average house price on a 3.5 ratio.

The banks are returning to the old ratio and removing self cert mortgages which begs the question, who will be buying the houses? There aren't enough people significantly outside modal incomes to keep the boom going. That's why the purchasing power of average incomes is so important.

Don't forget the average UK price in many areas will only buy a flat, it's hardly luxury living.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Now that's just the sort of thing AtW would have said.

I they aren't one and the same, they are certainly soul brothers.
    I thought exactly the same thing when I read that sentence.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    My posts are more informative than most of the clutter on this board...
    Now that's just the sort of thing AtW would have said.

I they aren't one and the same, they are certainly soul brothers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X