• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How long is your current gig?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I run out 9th October - but reckon another year is in the bag. Depressing thought really - I should get a decent gig.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    12 weeks of a 3-monther left, after 4 months on the bench it is good to be earning again and these 3-months will cover all my basic living costs for the year so I get to keep my house as well.....which is nice.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    I'm rather naively hoping things might be better by then...

/Ostrich syndrome

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    Currently extending to the end of the year, then hopefully a return to Blighty!

You may be in for a bit of a shock. Don't burn your bridges on the way back.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Currently extending to the end of the year, then hopefully a return to Blighty!

Leave a comment:

• oloks
    replied
    Till end of the year...boring though, but it pays the bills

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Started this one in February 2007 and runs 'til March 2009. Also work for another company since 2003 as their EMEA guy, another since around then as well doing bits and pieces. Have another gig coming up for just a week (nice payer as well) and have got an offer to do 2 days a week in Bern until 2012.

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    Just started a 3 month gig last week.

Bit of a change for me. Longest gig I have had before this was 1 month. I usually do about a week at a time.

I have associate relationships with a few consultancy companies, so I get specific bits of work on engagements they are undertaking.

BIG Bonus on this one though.. It is within a 50 minute drive of my home. I don't have to stay in a fricking hotel for a change.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    New permie introduced around the office

"This is Brian he's just started today"

"Hi I'm a temporary contractor"
    "You've not been here long too then?"
    "13 years"
    "Crickey that's a long temporary assignment"
    "Yes, I've been here longer than anyone"
    "Is it good being a contractor?"
    "Yes you get to move around a lot, it's not like being a permie, variety, risk, periods on the bench, I'm a small businessman/entrepreneur!"
    "but you've been here 13 years"
    "yes, but I'm only on a short term contract"
    <god I hate permies!>

You spend a bit of time on your own, don't you bugpuss?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    a year spending most nights in a Premier Inn is about eleven months too long

I know that pain, though I usually gamble on getting an extension and rent somewhere instead after a month or so.

Worse case scenario, you lose a couple of months rent, assuming you move locations outside a commutable distance. A gamble I think is well worth taking, considering the amount of dosh you end up spending in hotels and on evening meals, and the lack of flexibility having to live out of a suitcase.

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    You can come an cook a meal for me
    Careful; he only eats fried pork chops... Now I, OTOH, am a gastronome.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Current gig is up on 4 July - Independence Day

I'll almost certainly be offered an extension, but if I can do so without jeopardising it I'm hoping to take a month off - a year spending most nights in a Premier Inn is about eleven months too long

If that's not feasible, I'll still take a fortnight off - any less and I might as well not bother. Also, if they extend for 6 months, it probably means another 6 months after that, so I'll look at renting a flat in London - I miss being able to cook my own meals
    You can come an cook a meal for me

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Current gig is up on 4 July - Independence Day

I'll almost certainly be offered an extension, but if I can do so without jeopardising it I'm hoping to take a month off - a year spending most nights in a Premier Inn is about eleven months too long

If that's not feasible, I'll still take a fortnight off - any less and I might as well not bother. Also, if they extend for 6 months, it probably means another 6 months after that, so I'll look at renting a flat in London - I miss being able to cook my own meals

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    3 months.

Prefer them short with probable extensions so I can get a rate rise at renewal, preferably every 3 months!

My longest contract (over two years) ended with me on a rate 20 quid a hour better than I started. The client cottoned onto my tactic towards the end and offered me a 6 month extension instead, but by then I was already on a very good rate!

Maybe I went in too cheap in the first place, but I know for a fact I would not have been offered anywhere near my finishing rate. So ramping it up in small regular steps seems to work ok for me.

Leave a comment:

• El_Diablo
    replied
    ClientCo1: 6 months on going

ClientCo 2: 9 months due to end Dec

ClientCo3: Will be done end of Sept, they will want to extend, I will say nope. They are stupid, I don't do stupid.

Also time to ease up a little, need a break.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X