• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Reduced Rates

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reduced Rates"

Collapse

• SandyDown
    replied
    Agent called me on Sunday, according to him there is a very exciting role and can't wait till Monday - I say:'how much' he says:'£320 per day'
    My reply

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Extended with the rise I stated! Ker-ching! Job done, I'm off to the pub.
    Well done that man!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Extended with the rise I stated! Ker-ching! Job done, I'm off to the pub.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    With this much indecision perhaps time to do a Wilmslow
    I walked into that one, I suppose.
    I'll simply state my terms, throw a rate rise in, and see what happens. Just wanted to gauge opinion.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Hmm... do I take the mick after my hefty rate rise last time, 6 months ago?

Tempting. Excuses for insisting on 3 months? Or shall I do what I plan to, which is just say it straight and give no reason?
    With this much indecision perhaps time to do a Wilmslow

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Hmm... do I take the mick after my hefty rate rise last time, 6 months ago?

Tempting. Excuses for insisting on 3 months? Or shall I do what I plan to, which is just say it straight and give no reason?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by themistry View Post
    January?
    Perfect time for an extended holiday

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Sounds like you are in a pretty strong position. How about upping the rate and extending for 6 months? That way you can take Dec off using the extra dough from the increase and look afresh in the new year.
    January?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    On the subject of renewal - can I just canvass the board opinion - I'm having the extend or not conversation soon, but intend to look for another client after this one, would you renew for 3 months, or 6?

i.e. would it be better to be looking for another gig in August, or November?

Instinct says 3 months. Also have to think of a credible reason to insist upon 3 months. Client likely to offer 6.
    Sounds like you are in a pretty strong position. How about upping the rate and extending for 6 months? That way you can take Dec off using the extra dough from the increase and look afresh in the new year.

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    On the subject of renewal - can I just canvass the board opinion - I'm having the extend or not conversation soon, but intend to look for another client after this one, would you renew for 3 months, or 6?

Instinct says 3 months. Also have to think of a credible reason to insist upon 3 months. Client likely to offer 6.
    Better to look in the summer months when the permies are on holiday!

Plus if you are on the bench for a bit... at least you can enjoy yourself

TM

Leave a comment:

• NetworkNinja
    replied
    On one hand I've Just been offered a rate rise of 4% (makes the rate slightly less crap) and a renewal for 11 months on a job that is 25 miles from my house.

On the other hand - I've been offered another 6 month role with a equivalent of 33% rate rise 75 miles from my house with full DV clearance thrown in.

So its higher rate - longer commute and shorter contract or lower paid small commute and a lengthy contract?

I'm leaning towards the 6 month commuter (gets me away from the wife for longer in the day)

Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    If there is to be a downturn is it not reasonable for clients (not agencies of course) to expect reductions in rates? after all in the good times you grubby lot are straight on the upward spiral bandwagon.
    Chap I sit next to at ClientCo has some senior contacts. Clientco considered dropping rates by 10% - but are too far below market at the moment.

Still strong IB demand...

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    cynic alert

But true nonetheless!
    Got my first credit crunch related email from an agent today:

There are a number of personal reasons why you may want to apply for this role; however you should also consider these reasons.

v The Online Gaming Market is growing fast and is already a multi-billion pound industry

v Gibraltar charges lower taxes so you salary will go further

v Property Prices in Costa del sol are falling making commuting from Spain attractive

v Experience Counts, you even have fun whilst you are working out there.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Telephone call 1
    Agent: Unfortunately, due to the down turn in the economy a lot of contractors have either gone for permanent jobs or are refusing to leave steady contracts, as a result we'll be unable to secure anybody for that role under £400 per day
    Client: Wow are things that bad? well we really do need some one in or we're fliped. Just make sure they're good

Telephone call 2
    Agent: Unfortunately, due to the down turn in the economy a lot of companies are either relying purely on permament staff they already have or are shelving IT projects, however essential, till things pick up. As things are, this client is refusing to go above £200 per day, I'm really sorry, I've tried my hardest but i can't do anything to budge them.
    Contractor: flip
    cynic alert

But true nonetheless!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X