• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "interview- tie or no tie?"

Collapse

• beaker
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've been interviewed by a chap in shorts... it was in Bath in 1990... hottest day of the year, 100 deg F.

I was almost passing out.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    Like a dog returns to his vomit, churchill returns to the one put down he can manage...

FFS. Boring!
    I like to choose relevant put-downs.

Are you still saving for the operation?

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You like the site of a hairy cock in a dress do you?
    Like a dog returns to his vomit, churchill returns to the one put down he can manage...

FFS. Boring!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Have you ever been tempted to do a Sharon Stone(Basic Instinct) during an interview?
    You like the site of a hairy cock in a dress do you?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Suit and tie unless told otherwise.

I worked once at a trendy advertising company (aweful aweful users! - yes even the nice to look at ones) where suits were 'banned'.

If in doubt ask the agent but it's always wise to overdress.

I go all out with cufflinks etc for interviews

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Nah. I don't to ties or suits.

If they ask I'll explain to them that I don't wear suits at work so I won't for an interview.
    Same here - I'm not seeking a gig for my fashion sense but my experience and ability in the industry...

Suits and ties are for permies....

In the past, the best roles I've had have been ones where I did the interview in jeans.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    No matter how good you are there's always a proper way to dress for the occasion. You cant go for an interview in shorts, can you?

If I were conducting the interview (And I have done a few) I would probably not mind a format shirt, triousers and shoes (wih no tie or jacket). But no way would I hire anyone that turns up in a sweatshirt, T shirt, jeans, sneakers etc. Not even if he were Einstein
    I have. He had an hour to do the interview and was curretnly working in a warehouse. He wouldn't have had time to change and he didn't want to turn up at work in "posh" clothing. On the other hand, he was perfectly shaved, had a good haircut, clean fingernails and sat up straight. Sometimes you have to look past the obvious.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I think turning up without a tie says something about you as a candidate - namely that you that the company should eb grateful to employ you, or something along those lines.

A little humility goes a long way. Wear a tie for the interview, then store it till the next contract. Not like it's an effort to wear, and wearing it says nothing nothing negative about you, whereas not wearing one ...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I very rarely wear a tie because in order to get a shirt with a collar that fits, I have to get one the size of a bell tent. The other option is to force the thing closed and go into the interview doing bug-eyed-monster impressions.
    What I tend to do nowadays is put one in my pocket and pull it out at some point and say - hey I took this off because I was so hot. A bit lame but my hit-rate is high enough for me not to worry too much about it.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Not wearing a tie could be a problem

Wearing one won't

Which should I do?

FFS

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've been interviewed by a chap in shorts... it was in Bath in 1990... hottest day of the year, 100 deg F.

I was almost passing out.
    Do you move faster on hot days?

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    I maintain a high standard of sartorial elegance at all times.
    A little rubber hat?

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    I maintain a high standard of sartorial elegance at all times.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Nah. I don't to ties or suits.

If they ask I'll explain to them that I don't wear suits at work so I won't for an interview.
    Personally I sympathise, but isn't it more likely that they won't ask, they'll just flunk you? No use being logically right in silence on the way out. L'esprit d'escalier, sort of.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    No matter how good you are there's always a proper way to dress for the occasion. You cant go for an interview in shorts, can you?

If I were conducting the interview (And I have done a few) I would probably not mind a format shirt, triousers and shoes (wih no tie or jacket). But no way would I hire anyone that turns up in a sweatshirt, T shirt, jeans, sneakers etc. Not even if he were Einstein
    Which is in fact probably what Einstein would have worn. If he were the one you needed for the job, you'd have blown it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X