• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it worth getting a degree?"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    FWIW

I dont think you should bother unless it is stoping you getting work.
    In which case, if you are over 35 just invent one. Nobody checks. It's only the HR bods who care, once you've passed their filter the manager is only interested in your skill-set.

tim

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    FWIW

I dont think you should bother unless it is stoping you getting work.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Jabberwocky is right. One of my lecturers admitted that because it's an Msc they are required to make it as academic as possible and include a research project. It doesn't matter how old the material is. I learnt about the architecture of the 8086...16 bit CPU FFS!!!

How useful is it to know that EAX, EBX, ECX, EDX, ESI and EDI are general purpose registers on the Pentium???
    Last edited by WageSlave; 27 July 2005, 09:26.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    There is plenty to learn on an IT MSc, most IT spuds who haven't done an CompSci degree before will learn plenty. It can get pretty theoretical eg turing/register machines, algorithms, operating systems, functional programming to almost practical: databases, security, electronics, software engineering methodologies. Yeah there is plenty to be learnt, it's just having done one of these things I can honestly say I have never used any of the stuff on contract. The teaching people are CompSci academics, they generally don't teach you about the lastest version of VB, Oracle, Windows etc.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Well if you want to actually learn something...

What about business and IT, if you check out the OU you'll find they do mix and match (I think anyway) between the MBA and the Computing MSc.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Does not Glasgow University or somewhere within reach do a similar programme of evening based and/or distance courses?
    Also worth looking into, but tbh I do fancy something I can take at my own pace with a drink in hand and some music on

Leave a comment:

• benn0
    replied
    You'd be better off with a City and Guilds in carpentry/plastering/bricklaying or some other trade. At least it's something to fall back on, with plenty of tax free income to be had.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Does not Glasgow University or somewhere within reach do a similar programme of evening based and/or distance courses?

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Looks like it may be the noddy OU for me then since I am at the opposite end of the island (Glasgow!).

Thanks for the cheerleading

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan
    Is it this one http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/distance.html I dont think I can do software dev remotely with them.
    No idea, Stan. If I were you I'd get hold of a copy of all the prospectuses and see which combination of institute/subjects grabs your interest. Going to an open evening is well worth while also. The OU is seen as a bit noddy though... a distance learning programme with a "real university" will carry a lot more kudos. Obviously the more intensive programmes with Birkbeck are only practical if you can actually get to London an evening or two a week.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Stan Stan
    He's our man
    He's got a secret plan
    He's got a Masters plan
    Come on Stan,
    come and join our Klan
    Our Klan from the sea of Japan
    to the republic of Sudan

[Sandy in cheerleader mode ]

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Is it this one http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/distance.html I dont think I can do software dev remotely with them.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan
    I am so glad I asked, you guys have saved me time and money as, from what the OU site says, I can indeed do a masters
    You certainly can, Stan. Anyone who says you have to do a bachelor's first is talking out of their arse. As you rightly say, for anyone with significant hands on experience, a bachelor's degree is childishly easy.

As far as IT related M.Sc. goes, Birkbeck is rated much higher than OU in the credibility stakes. Seriously consider them first as OU IT masters are often seen as a bit noddy.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    I am so glad I asked, you guys have saved me time and money as, from what the OU site says, I can indeed do a masters

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I didnt think its possible to do a masters without first doing a bachelors or am I wrong?
    Absolutely it is possible, Stan. Honestly, as I think you have realised, someone with your experience would be wasting their time (and money) doing a bachelor's degree. Any admissions tutor will tell you the same. Colleague of mine did exactly the same a couple of years ago. Had years of hands on experience but no degree (of any sort). Did an M.Sc. at Birkbeck no problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X