• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Limited or sole trader ?"

Collapse

• Archangel
    replied
    perhaps he is very good at rimming?

hmmm,

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    acerimmer, how did you come up with your name?
    Red Dwarf, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    It means that maybe we're all out of flame.
    Ah!

I thought you we're implying I was an habitual flamer or something, and had run out of puff.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    What do you mean?

It means that maybe we're all out of flame.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Yes - it's almost as though the flaming has all been used up elsewhere
    What do you mean?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    'twas a good, solid reply, bogey. Seems that 'noob flaming' is not the theme of the day.
    Yes - it's almost as though the flaming has all been used up elsewhere

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Clearly I have made a faux-pas by replying to Mr Acerimmer in a sensible and constructive fashion
    'twas a good, solid reply, bogey. Seems that 'noob flaming' is not the theme of the day.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    It was written on the box he was found in underneath a pool table in Liverpool.

It was a box for a iMMer . It’s made by Acer – it’s a clone of the iMac.

No, hang on, that was someone else.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Clearly I have made a faux-pas by replying to Mr Acerimmer in a sensible and constructive fashion

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I'd use an autonomous collective, or possibly an anarcho-syndicalist commune.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    You could try posting this in the Business section to get more informed responses.

If you're going through an agency, you need to be a Ltd. co (because of the Companies Act). Otherwise your 'employer' (I use the word advisedly) will be liable for your NICs and PAYE. You could be a temporary employee of an agency for this purpose.

If you work directly to the client, then you can be a sole trader, or in a partnership, but beware of being caught by IR35. Your client could still end up being liable for NI/PAYE if you cannot prove to HMRC's satisfaction that you are 'in business on your own account'. See innumerable IR35 articles passim.

Operating costs to a sole trader are generally lower than a ltd, but you don't have the tax-advantageous option of paying yourself dividends in lieu of drawings/salary.

If you're going to make any decent sort of living, you will probably exceed the VAT threshold anyway, so registration would be quite likely. VAT is pretty simple to deal with yourself if you have half a brain - you shouldn't need an accountant to do your VAT returns.

Anyone with more up-to-date/knowledgeable with the situation, please correct me if I'm talking balls.
    Last edited by bogeyman; 17 April 2008, 12:47.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Steady boys... steady... wait til you can see the whites of their eyes.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    SNAFU
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Sounds like all the permies are bailing to become contractors due to redundancy, whilst all the contractors are looking at permie to weather the storm...

SNAFU

Leave a comment:

Working...
X